MUSICONICA
Pages:  1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Plenty of issues, plenty of questions  (Read 12354 times)
Pluggo
Veteran Member

Topic starter

« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2009, 07:23:46 PM »

Great, I'll have to go out and try to found one! 

Update on the breaks/rotors.. what a pain in the ass.  I learned a valuable lesson today: never, ever give your keys to an old senile man and then leave.  Or ever even leave the shop for an hour job. I gave my keys this morning to the assistant at my mechanic's, and then my friend came to pick me up so we could work around his office while they waited for the parts and got the job done.

Fast forward to three hours later, I get a call from Lance (the owner of the place.) telling me he can't find my keys.  So it seems Hubert lost my bloody keys, and they couldn't turn the wheels.  FF again to 5 o'clock, my friend and I drove over for a second time, this time to see if they found them.  Still no luck, but my friend drives me home to get my spare set... when we get back to the shop, it turns out the whole time they had the job done.  I don't know how but they had both new rotors on, new pads like it needed.  TA-DA!  Amazing, spent my whole day waiting around.

Lance said he'd buy me a new set of keys, so no bother to me I suppose. 

Now I need to get the rears done, then get onto the EGR and everything else!

"are mustangs better than GTOs"
-quote of a member of a car forum
Pluggo
Veteran Member

Topic starter

« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2009, 02:08:31 PM »

not needed post anymore
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 01:47:10 PM by Pluggo » Logged

Pluggo
Veteran Member

Topic starter

« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2009, 01:46:46 PM »

The transmission issue has been fixed!  I took everyones advice and got myself a new slave cylinder, it works wonders now.  No more grinding into reverse or struggling to shift at all. 

Now my only complaint is that the clutch engages later than it used to and doesn't seem as immediate!  I have to relearn the car all over again!  tongue

All that remains (that I can think of now) is my Code 32 issue, and I am thinking about investing in a new EGR tube

I do have one other question.  There is a tube that is unconnected behind my airbox, and there doesn't really seem for there to be anywhere for it to go!

FerociousGTO
I'm a ferocious llama!
Veteran Member
Official CFF Post Whore

« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2009, 02:21:46 PM »

Just saw this... Rodney has good products from what I have heard.
http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/074038.html

Wish he would have a G6 (F40) tranny kit for the 3800 or better yet a sequential gear box kit tongue
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 02:25:45 PM by FGT » Logged

'88 GT, 3800 SC II, IMSA/MadCurls widebody combo, Choptop, Borla exhaust, GT-One NSX Headlights, RX-8 mirrors, 18"/20" Axis wheels.
Proud88GT
Administrator

« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2009, 11:04:14 PM »

If you have a leaking slave cylinder than you are most likely not getting enough throw to move the pressure plate from the clutch.  If you have had to replace fluid in the master cylinder than you most likely have air in the system.  I have not had much luck with rebuild slave cylinders and the 4 speed needs all the throw it can get to put the car into gear.  I replaced the slave cylinder four times with GM parts before I got the one in the car now.  I had the slave and the master replaced on this car twice.  I remember getting in the car one day and the clutch hit the floor with out even touching it very hard. 

Also your fuel pump is not a GM part and it will get loud if it is working hard.  Have you replaced the fuel filter yet?  I would have replaced the fuel pump when the tank was replaced because the old tank was full of rust and crap and most likely killed the fuel pump.  I would wait for the pump to die and then replace it again.  You could get years of life from it or it could die tomorrow. 

When I replaced the headlights with Ed Parks motors something must not be right with them after they were rebuilt.  I have had this happen a number of times were the headlight just does not work correctly after being rebuilt.  My wifes '88 did this if the car was parked for a long time.  I would look around to see if anyone has a working right headlight for an '87-'88 to replace it and see if that one works better.

Your 32 code could be a couple of things but most Fieros have a problem with a cracked EGR Tube that can cause this code to happen.  It could also be the EGR itself.  Have the EGR system checked because this can become costly if you start replacing parts to locate the problem.

To help get the car on a jack I would roll the car on a piece of wood in order to get the jack under it.  I also would suggest buying some ramps to drive the car on to as well. 

« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 11:19:38 PM by Proud88GT » Logged
Pluggo
Veteran Member

Topic starter

« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2009, 06:10:58 PM »

Thanks Mitch, your help is always appreciated smile

I know that Rodney Dickman is working on a slave for the Muncie/Getrags, and he plans to do a slave for the 4 speeds of both Getrag/Isuzu variety once he has that finished. 

I will get the EGR system checked by another mechanic, since mine says "If it isnt hurting the car, don't worry, otherwise you'll dump a ton of cash into some menial issue like that", just to know what is wrong with it.  If it's the actual tube itself, then Rodney will also be where I go for that.

I will bring my wrench to Daytona on Saturday.... maybe I can borrow one of ya'lls headlights for a few minutes  smile

About the jack... we finally figured that out after we gave up for about 30 minutes.  And the guys at the local oil-fill shop said they would even buy some long 4x4's to put along the pit track just to keep my business. The first time I went in there, my rear sway bar was DRAGGING on the bloody thing. I haven't gone back since except to talk to them about their cars.  That might change now though!

Right now, the only problems that remain are:

Right headlight issue
Fracking fuel pump
Poor paint is peeling off... must talk to Mustang restorer down the road!

I haven't seen the EGR code in a long time because I haven't had it on the highway.  Sometimes I really wish I had that 5th gear for the drive to Orlando. tongue

Proud88GT
Administrator

« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2009, 10:32:29 PM »

Those plastic ramps cost about $30.00 and would be the best item you will ever buy.  Remember by now you know more about these cars than many mechanics that are out there.  Save money by doing the little things your self.  Changing the cars oil etc.  When I first got my Fiero I always took the car in for service and also to change the oil.  I was a fraid I would do something wrong.  It was after I found out that the shop I took the car to put the wrong filter on the car even after I supplied the right one and put the wrong oil in the car. That I when I started changing it myself.  (I walked to the mechanic station to check something out on the car and noticed he finished the oil change while the bag of oil I supplied was sitting in his tool box.)  Or the time I got the rear brakes replaced and they never checked their work before I drove the car home.  I got home smelled something burning, looked at the rear brakes and the rotors were bright red.  The rear brakes did not release the whole time I drove the car home.  They did not even connect the hand brake back up.  All I am saying is be carefull about taking your car in for service all the time. 
Pluggo
Veteran Member

Topic starter

« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2009, 12:56:04 PM »

Yeah, I check every time I take it to get worked on.. last time I changed my oil was about 3 weeks ago with my friend, and I explained that whole fun ordeal already.  It was fun trying to find the oil filter tongue

Every time I leave the shop I drive the car around the block 4 times before going anywhere.  So far so good though!

Pages:  1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Go to CFF Club & Vendor links.