MUSICONICA
+  Central Florida Fieros Forum
|-+  Fiero Discussion» Technical» GT Spoiler
Username:
Password:
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: GT Spoiler  (Read 2520 times)
padgett

Topic starter
Many Carpets

« on: January 14, 2009, 03:24:16 PM »

Just acquired one and on disassembly the one single stud that holds the front of the pedestal to the spoiler (two phillips screws in the back) seems corroded. Is there a way to remove one that will not or at least minimize damage to either spoiler or pedestal ?

Been soaking with PB-Blaster but seems pretty bad.
Blacktree
Administrator
Official CFF Post Whore

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 09:15:46 PM »

Is the screw rusted in place? If so, you can drill off the screw head. Just be careful not to heat it up too much while drilling it, or you'll melt the plastic. I learned that from personal experience. wink

The threads in the wing are actually threaded rivets. If you try to pull them out, you'll tear up the plastic. The rivets can be drilled out, also. But once again, be wary of heating them up while drilling or you'll melt the plastic.

After you remove the rivets, you can replace them with more threaded rivets, or with rubber well nuts. My personal preference is well nuts, because they aren't permanent. They expand when you tighten the screw, to lock them in place. And when you loosen the screw, they shrink back to their original size, allowing you to easily remove them.
padgett

Topic starter
Many Carpets

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 11:39:23 AM »

It is not a screw, it is a nutted stud (see image)

Same on both of the pedestals.

Have been applying PB Blaster daily - does naval jelly work better or something else ? Ideas welcome.
rdnkbobby

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 09:01:17 PM »

not positive but ive used liquid cutting tool oil on rusty or seized bolts (turbo housing bolts on a cummins diesel) with great success. I hope it works 4 u.
Dirty Harry
Veteran Member

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 11:07:35 PM »

If you get that out, do you have the replacement studs?  I have some new extras.  They have larger threads on the top to screw into the wing and normal threads & nut on bottom for the stanchon.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Go to CFF Club & Vendor links.