MUSICONICA
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How much trouble is it to own a pool?  (Read 7631 times)
Cheever
Veteran Member

Topic starter

« on: April 13, 2008, 02:46:38 PM »

We found a house that has everything we want, and although we weren't looking for one, it also comes with a nice, screen-enclosed, in-ground swimming pool.  Neither of us has ever owned a pool, but she owned a hot tub for a long time and was taking care of it herself.  That's not the same as a pool, I'm sure, but that's my question... we need to know what we would be getting ourselves into. 

We both are absolutely certain we would USE a pool almost daily.  We wouldn't just be looking at it.

This one is not heated, so we would probably want to change that by next winter.

So, what's involved, and couldn't we take care of it ourselves, without paying $200 a month (or whatever it is) for pool service?

Thanks

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 Fiero-less in Tallahassee
Koenig355
Veteran Member

My car is super fast cause I want it so...problem

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2008, 03:02:24 PM »

Owning a pool like any thing else  a chore but you can save a lot of $$$  by DIY.

Get a good pool robot and let it run ,it crawls the length of the pool sucking up any garbage.
Keep chlorine in stock  from the pool supply  store it is cheap you can get the gallon or quart,
Get a long strainer scoop  to pick out leaves anf  other things the robot cannot pick up,
before you get the house make sure  you have the pool checked for  stress cracks in the structure or it can be a costly experience :o :o

1985 SE swapped to a fastback with converted  front and rear 88 chassis 4wheel coilover suspension, single turbocharged v8 with meth injection 5 speed, F355 front and rear widebody, custom interior ,push button start 14.5 BMW brakes  with 19"HP wheels 4piston calipers.Sony 7"touchscreen 7" Tablet.
2manycars
Official CFF Post Whore

The Chameleon

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 07:16:58 AM »

Is it a "liner" pool or tile?

Liners are good for about 10 years, then expect $5 grand to replace! Since it's screened in, that will help to keep out leaves and such.

Like Koenig355 said, a robotic pool cleaner will help loads, expect to pay $200 to $300 for a good one.

Regular weekly maintenance will keep it nice and in check. Let it get away from you, and the work load goes up. You'll need to clean the filter periodically, that takes DE dirt (depending on your filter) and an hour or two of elbow grease a couple times a month.

My house has a pool, and when we moved here in 94 my boys swam everyday. Now I can't get them to rake a leaf LOL. I love my pool, but spend several hours a week cleaning, checking, maintaining and such. My Sunday mornings are typically pool day. Probably spend $35 - $40 a week on chemicals and such. Power consumption for the pool pump is another $70 - $90 a month. I run my pump 8 to 10 hours a day.

• 84 SE - loaded, son's car
    • 85 GT - 3.4 transplant candidate
    • 86 SE/GT - the "Chameleon"
    • 88 Factory T-top (the last one for me)
    Cheever
    Veteran Member

Topic starter

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2008, 05:19:59 AM »

Is it a "liner" pool or tile?

I love my pool, but spend several hours a week cleaning, checking, maintaining and such. My Sunday mornings are typically pool day. Probably spend $35 - $40 a week on chemicals and such. Power consumption for the pool pump is another $70 - $90 a month. I run my pump 8 to 10 hours a day.

It has a vinyl liner that is 2 years old.
    That's just a little more time and money than I thought it would require.  And that raises another question: Would the pool become more of a "prison" than a paradise?  We are both 51 years old, and my kids are way out in Texas, and her daughter is 25, and so far we have no grandchildren even.  So it would be just the two of us using the pool, as far as I can see.  I just wonder if we might someday feel chained to it, considering the extra effort and expense.  It's not like you can just get rid of it, if you ever get tired of it.

We found out the sellers have previously turned down an offer that was the exact amount we were going to start with.  So now we're trying to decide whether to make a higher offer or accept that it's not worth it.  Everything else about the house is perfectly what we were looking for.

Fiero-less in Tallahassee
    2manycars
    Official CFF Post Whore

The Chameleon

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008, 06:39:24 AM »

I certainly don't want to be discouraging while you're making up your mind. I'd like to stay somewhat neutral throughout your decision.

I turned 60 in February, so your "aging" won't hold much weight with me! LOL biggrin

I too have a vinyl liner. I've replaced it once, and am getting ready to replace again. If you have a pool, I'd expect you'd use it several times a week. The cleaning and maintenance become part of the "use".

I like to listen to the "talking heads" on the news Sunday mornings, so I hook up a TV on my pool deck, hose things down, clean the furniture, check the chemicals, and then float in my pool chair and listen to the news (work on my tan too)!

That's not exactly taxing labor!

Also, you have a screened in pool, I don't. In the fall it's cleaning leaves and crap, and spring time its cleaning leaves and crap. I have to do yard maintenance anyway, and at least I can dip in the pool when I'm done.

If you like having a pool, then expect to spend some time in it. Also, it's always a unique social center with guests. We have get togethers for 4th of July, and the boys often have pool parties and bon fires with their friends. It becomes an entertainment center, like a fireplace or big screen TV. Depends on what you want, and how you plan to live.

Good luck

Dirty Harry
      Veteran Member

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2008, 09:13:35 AM »

Mark, I can't imagine how you spend 35 to 40 dollars per week on your pool chemicals.  Best thing I ever did was install a salt generator.  I dump a 50 lb. bag of powdered salt in the pool every three months or so & it creates chlorine automatically.  The water has no chlorine smell, never burns your eyes & feels like softened water.  Other than running the pump 8 hours daily, I seldom have to add other chemicals. I still have the water tested free every month or so at Pinch A Penny but I doubt if I spend more than 50 dollars every three or four months.   Harry
      2manycars
      Official CFF Post Whore

The Chameleon

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2008, 10:11:56 AM »

My "estimate" may be a bit high. Then of course there's beer, wine, stuff like that! ;D

Pages: [1]
          Print  

Jump to:  

Go to CFF Club & Vendor links.