MUSICONICA
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Surface prep  (Read 5540 times)
Old Lar
Veteran Member

Topic starter

« on: October 28, 2016, 03:56:01 PM »

:angry: Something spilled on my 87 GT's hood, nose and fender that bubbled the clear coat and maybe the paint.  I need to get some motivation the start a cleanup.  Should I sand the surface with some fine grit wet/dry paper to see how bad the area is?  Or just go to town and sand everything  down, the get the panels repainted?

When removing the nose emblem, I believe there is a nut that screws on to the post for the emblem.  Does anyone know if it is accessible without removing the nose?  I'm getting too old to be climbing around under the car as I did when I worked on my 88 GT.

Any good paint shops that are willing to take on small jobs.  The last time many close by me didn't want to touch small jobs. 

Dragon
Veteran Member

« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2016, 05:08:44 PM »

Real fine wet sanding can not hurt if your careful

If your parent you can bring the car over and we can throw it on the life to get at the badge nut.

Heck I don't remember if it can be pulled without pulling the bumper.

How about the guy down on Avacado in Melbourne

Frank Martin

Cocoa, Florida

1987 GT  -  3800 s/c  -  Suicide Doors  -  Custom Paint  -  Air Brushed art work  -  Digital Dash
Old Lar
Veteran Member

Topic starter

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2016, 08:16:17 AM »

I'll have to check on Menace paint shop.  I had heard he closed down.  I remember when I was at Twin Lakes years ago, Bob was able to get at the nose badge from under the car.  I picked up some wet/dry 2000 grit sand paper and need to locate my sanding block somewhere in the garage.
rpro
Veteran Member

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2016, 02:14:29 PM »

If you remove all of the small screws on the top rail you can slide your hand under there enough to get it off. It does however help if you have little girl hands
Old Lar
Veteran Member

Topic starter

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2016, 11:32:31 AM »

I started some wet sanding and it looks like it goes down to the paint.  I now need to remove the hood to do a lot of sanding on the hood.  sad   Time to get out the power sander.

It looks like the fender was repainted in the past, but since I've had the car since new, I don't recall having that done.  confused?
avengador1
Veteran Member

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2016, 01:12:13 PM »

Sounds like you are suffering from "oldsheimer's" disease. wink
Old Lar
Veteran Member

Topic starter

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2016, 10:01:00 AM »

My plan is to remove the hood (done) the driver's side fender and the nose then sand the surfaces and take the parts to a paint shop.(Menace on Avocado St. in Melbourne has closed up shop).  I forgot just how many screw, bolts etc. hold stuff together.

Question do I have to remove the fender liner to get the fender off?

I'll have to jack up the car up and climb underneath to get at all the pieces that hold the nose on.  I did this on my 88 a few times.  But I was a few years younger.
Old Lar
Veteran Member

Topic starter

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2016, 05:02:48 PM »

Mark came over and had the touch to get the plastic cover off at the bottom of the fender that was hiding two more pop rivets.  mark drilled those out and the fender came off.

I found an independent painter in Palm Bay and showed him the fender and nose (the hood doesn't fit in the Hyundai).  He had worked at a Pontiac dealership in another life and was familiar with the Fiero. He has a truck and will pick up the hood later. 

Since he is busy, it will be a couple of week to get to it.  I'm in no hurry anyway.  So I get to be the guinea pig to see how the painter works out.
Old Lar
Veteran Member

Topic starter

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2016, 09:12:33 PM »

With the 87 GT jacked up in the front, I noticed something was dripping on the floor from the front right of the car.  I looked and looked to see if I could see anything.  The only above that area was the brake line, but I saw nothing wrong.  I spread some absorbent to soak up whatever. Today I noticed another spot on the absorbent.  Digging in the front area I found the culprit.  I had an oil bottle stored next to the wheel well and the top was loose and a very slow leak. DOH!
Dragon
Veteran Member

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2016, 02:37:08 PM »

Nice to have easy fixes

Frank Martin

Cocoa, Florida

1987 GT  -  3800 s/c  -  Suicide Doors  -  Custom Paint  -  Air Brushed art work  -  Digital Dash
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Go to CFF Club & Vendor links.