MUSICONICA
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: To Prime or not to Prime ??  (Read 9687 times)
exoticse
Veteran Member
Official CFF Post Whore

Topic starter

« on: February 08, 2008, 11:57:05 PM »

Need an opinion.

My car is nearing the first stage of completion (fastback swap) but still has a long way to go (widebody kit), and paint (at minimum 1.5 years away), so should i go ahead and primer it one color (adding more work later on, but making it look a lot better in the meantime) or just roll with it like it is multi-colored and deal with it ?? I would be paying  his guys to do the prime work and it is not expensive.

Currently the nose and rear bumper are red, the roof and hood are black and the rest of the car is maroon.

Any advice ?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 10:02:16 AM by exoticse » Logged
FerociousGTO
I'm a ferocious llama!
Veteran Member
Official CFF Post Whore

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2008, 04:24:20 AM »

Interesting that you posted this topic. Mad Curls and I where talking the other night on the phone about getting choptop #4 & #25 primed. Lets do them flat black? A few months ago V8-Grouchie mention that Mark the  painter in WI (FireFox) primed #13 Leroys for $150. I think this was the dark gray color.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 04:26:18 AM by FierociousGT » Logged

'88 GT, 3800 SC II, IMSA/MadCurls widebody combo, Choptop, Borla exhaust, GT-One NSX Headlights, RX-8 mirrors, 18"/20" Axis wheels.
Jake Dragon

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2008, 10:13:48 AM »

I would also prime the car one color. I hate my multi color car.  >sad

Behold the power of cheese
Blacktree
Administrator
Official CFF Post Whore

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 12:50:24 AM »

You'll need some type of primer/sealer on the rear clip, to protect the new fiberglass. But the rest is up to your discretion.

That said, I think that car would look BAD ASS in flat black.  ;D
Koenig355
Veteran Member

My car is super fast cause I want it so...problem

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008, 09:45:40 AM »

I would use polyeurethane  primer( 1 quart will do with the color of your choice mixed in) instead of regular priimer to seal in new fiberglass work from bleeding through especially if the car isn't going to be painted right away, a little more costly  but worth it.

1985 SE swapped to a fastback with converted  front and rear 88 chassis 4wheel coilover suspension, single turbocharged v8 with meth injection 5 speed, F355 front and rear widebody, custom interior ,push button start 14.5 BMW brakes  with 19"HP wheels 4piston calipers.Sony 7"touchscreen 7" Tablet.
rgirau
Veteran Member

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2008, 09:32:58 AM »

I say prime it Tony. It really won't be that much work later, as even when you add the body kit all you will have to do is prime the areas you are working. By the way the car looks awesome!!!!!   
exoticse
Veteran Member
Official CFF Post Whore

Topic starter

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2008, 07:57:35 AM »

Thanks guys for all the comments and advice. Looks like to prime will be the way to go !

Next i am going to have Archie do some custom hood and decklids, so the priming will probably wait until after that.

What color ? Flat black ?

In the end, when painted, the car is going to be torch red.

FerociousGTO
I'm a ferocious llama!
Veteran Member
Official CFF Post Whore

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2008, 07:32:48 AM »

Tony,

I spoke with Archie this past Tuesday aboutpriming our cars. He mention that Mark (aka FireFox) only primes in gray. Also that your car would need sanding before priming which would increase the cost.

'88 GT, 3800 SC II, IMSA/MadCurls widebody combo, Choptop, Borla exhaust, GT-One NSX Headlights, RX-8 mirrors, 18"/20" Axis wheels.
2002z28ssconv
Administrator
Official CFF Post Whore

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2008, 07:39:16 AM »

Since when would anyone prime a car without sanding first?

Maybe you ought to get it home, blocksand and smooth everything to your own liking and THEN have it primed and painted at the same time. I don't want to volunteer for other club members but I've been wanting to get some experience painting a Fiero and would be willing to help those more experienced. Then you'd have a car that really looked good even before the widebody kit.

We all know that those 1.5 year timelines have a way of turning into 5 years... Why put up with a primered car for that long?
madcurls

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2008, 03:23:39 PM »

IMO, it would be prudent to just get the Mad-Arch widebody and bypass the primer all together.  Why? Your paying someone to primer/prep areas that will soon be replaced by the widebody (rear bumper, ground fx, ect..).  Besides, you're paying shipping fees 3x @ $750 = $2250 (delivery to FL, then back to IL and finally back to FL).  Once the kit has been applied, then those area can be primered and later for paint within a reasonable time frame.

ITALGT
Veteran Member

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2008, 07:34:29 PM »

I figured it's time I chime in here.  My information is recent and fresh in my memory,  because this is the stage I'm in too.  My car needs looks like a$$ right now and I don't have a bunch of money just laying around for a nice paint job.  ALSO...  my Fiero is now in it's "body modification" stage and I want to play with fiberglass.  I'll be needing the option of re-priming as I go,  not only for looks,  but for a layer of protection for any new work being done.

As mentioned earlier,  epoxy primer is the ONLY way to go.

In my case,  I'll be shooting it in a black epoxy primer...

Brett

exoticse
Veteran Member
Official CFF Post Whore

Topic starter

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2008, 12:08:15 AM »

IMO, it would be prudent to just get the Mad-Arch widebody and bypass the primer all together.  Why? Your paying someone to primer/prep areas that will soon be replaced by the widebody (rear bumper, ground fx, ect..).  Besides, you're paying shipping fees 3x @ $750 = $2250 (delivery to FL, then back to IL and finally back to FL).  Once the kit has been applied, then those area can be primered and later for paint within a reasonable time frame.

it would be nice if i could do that, but i still need to save up the cash to purchase the kit and have it installed, so my car would just be sitting around again, and quite frankly i am sick of that. I will get the widebody in due time, no question, but in the meantime i plan to be working on a few other things with it back home.

I found a shipping place for about $500 and who knows i might be able to catch archie coming down to, or going back from Daytona one year, to save that go round. wink

« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 12:15:07 AM by exoticse » Logged
Nathrak
Veteran Member

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2008, 11:49:52 PM »

Brett, are you painting in the hurricane shelter? Also, do you still need driver/passenger mirror glass? Would something off an 84 work?

Thanks, Jon.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2008, 11:58:03 PM by Nathrak » Logged

Jon and Rebecca
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Go to CFF Club & Vendor links.