MUSICONICA
Pages:  1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 20
  Print  
Author Topic: The FGTO build chronicles  (Read 208827 times)
exoticse
Veteran Member
Official CFF Post Whore

« Reply #150 on: June 05, 2009, 10:37:39 AM »

Dave the car just keeps getting better.

Mike (blacktree) outstanding work.

Guys if you need some glasswork,...Mike is the man.
F355spider

« Reply #151 on: June 07, 2009, 01:04:03 AM »

It hasn't been in the sun at all... It's always was in a warehouse (North IL), garage (Central FL), and enclosed transport. Maybe it was the cold? wink I'm suprised Al Gore didn't get blamed. wink

Guy's & gals, I promise I won't bring up the issues I had with the shop in Machesney Park, IL anymore. I know it's getting old... very old and dragged out. I'm just glad FGTO (aka "rat nibbles") wink exterior body is getting done right.

I'll have some photos up soon and this thread we be moved from the private CFF Lounge into the public area of the forum.
<Quoted Image Removed>

I like the Mazda mirrors they look good on the car. I noticed your rear clip was not fiber glassed back together under the sail panel window. I always glass it back together on my chop tops is this the normal work for the other guy?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 04:07:14 PM by cffuser1 » Logged
FerociousGTO
I'm a ferocious llama!
Veteran Member
Official CFF Post Whore

Topic starter

« Reply #152 on: June 07, 2009, 08:06:05 AM »

WOW........great idea on splitting the nose like that!! And can't wait to see some chin spoiler mods.......Are you gonna make some molds for resell??

Nice snag Dave, on the bondo sandwich thing........

Not going to make molds. I gave up (waste of time), seems like no one knows what they want.

I like the Mazda mirrors they look good on the car. I noticed your rear clip was not fiber glassed back together under the sail panel window. I always glass it back together on my chop tops is this the normal work for the other guy?

I have no idea Mike. Part of V8-Archie's HACK JOB body work.
http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/074734-9.html#p352

What I can tell you is I don't have cheap towel's on my door. Trying to figure this one out?

MadCurls #20
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 04:25:42 PM by cffuser1 » Logged

'88 GT, 3800 SC II, IMSA/MadCurls widebody combo, Choptop, Borla exhaust, GT-One NSX Headlights, RX-8 mirrors, 18"/20" Axis wheels.
F355spider

« Reply #153 on: June 11, 2009, 12:00:04 PM »

I guess glassing it back like it was from GM takes more time and uses more material.  
I see another difference my window stop.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 04:10:10 PM by cffuser1 » Logged
DIY_Stu
Veteran Member

« Reply #154 on: June 11, 2009, 10:05:40 PM »

Looks like that could rattle or make a big clank when it hits.
FerociousGTO
I'm a ferocious llama!
Veteran Member
Official CFF Post Whore

Topic starter

« Reply #155 on: June 13, 2009, 09:39:02 PM »

We are changing the rear deck scoop. I was never happy with the '79 Mustang scoop for this specific style Fiero, it's just too flat. We will be using the SRT-8 style scoop (has curves) which I originally planned on using but the boy's (plural) at the V8-archies shop in North IL said they didn't like it... so no. :thumbsdown:

Widen the scoop total of 4".
-

SRT-8 (curves & 2" opening) vs. '79 Mustang (flat & 1.5" opening) scoop
-

Sloping the deck lid 1/2" up. This makes the opening 1.5" w/o making the scoop lower.

I'll post more photos later...
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 04:20:38 PM by cffuser1 » Logged

'88 GT, 3800 SC II, IMSA/MadCurls widebody combo, Choptop, Borla exhaust, GT-One NSX Headlights, RX-8 mirrors, 18"/20" Axis wheels.
exoticse
Veteran Member
Official CFF Post Whore

« Reply #156 on: June 15, 2009, 10:09:18 AM »

Man i want to play with fiberglass ! You can do anything with that stuff !!

Mike i just read your fiberglass 101 sticky on the forum,..awesome explanation of the basics,..can't believe i never noticed it before !

Dave good choice on the scoop. Do you plan to tweek it further or leave as is ?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 10:37:24 AM by exoticse » Logged
2manycars
Official CFF Post Whore

The Chameleon

« Reply #157 on: June 16, 2009, 06:47:29 AM »

Ahhh . . . you guys just like breathing those fumes!

Say . . . that might explain a few things!  biggrin

Marc

• 84 SE - loaded, son's car
    • 85 GT - 3.4 transplant candidate
    • 86 SE/GT - the "Chameleon"
    • 88 Factory T-top (the last one for me)
    FerociousGTO
    I'm a ferocious llama!
    Veteran Member
    Official CFF Post Whore

Topic starter

« Reply #158 on: June 29, 2009, 08:27:56 PM »

DONE!

We are done with the exterior. No more mods. Next I will be working on the headlights since I have removed the Carbon Fiber laminate and installing 12" rotors (2nd gen C4) w/ stock '88 brakes with help from Marc (2manycars) & Chuck (2002z28ssconv).

Paint job? Well a economical coat to drive it around for a few months due to a concern Mike and I discussed regarding fiberglass work on the door panels done by v8-archie, may crack (it has already happened and been repaired). Unknown what type resign archie and his boys used to stick the fiberglass parts to the plastic doors. For some reason I personally don't think it was SMC or Epoxy resign.

Originally I was considering painting the car BMW space gray but Traci (Downtown Chic-a-go) gave the idea to go with a pearl white... Deja vu? That color been growing on me too... I think it would look awesome if I can combine it with black like the ASI F430 below.

-  :think: :thumbsup:

At the moment budget is exhausted so no major changes to the interior. I need to get this baby on the road ASAP. Special thanks to Mike (Blacktree) for all the hard fiberglass (skills & speed) work fixing/modifying the body and Lincoln (85LAMB) for motivation.

EDIT 07-07-09
    Saw this darker tone of silver (not gray) on a Mercedes SLR McLaren 722 S Roadster this passed weekend at Mercedes Chicago... and yes it sold for $570k.
    - -
    « Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 06:08:33 AM by FGT » Logged

Blacktree
    Administrator
    Official CFF Post Whore

« Reply #159 on: June 30, 2009, 11:08:26 AM »

It does feel good to say "mission accomplished" on the body work, doesn't it?  biggrin
    SAFASTRO

« Reply #160 on: June 30, 2009, 05:10:21 PM »

Congrats Dave!! Now get that thing rollin'!  OMG/Shocked

- Choptop - 10" Stretch - Shortened Nose - Shortened Rear Bumper - DUBS - Widebody -
    FerociousGTO
    I'm a ferocious llama!
    Veteran Member
    Official CFF Post Whore

Topic starter

« Reply #161 on: June 30, 2009, 09:12:24 PM »

Moving forward >>> biggrin... Chuck was over tonight helping re-drilling the 12" C4 (2nd Gen) front rotor to the Fiero bolt pattern.
    - -

Tire Rack
    Power Slot Power Alloy Rotor for your 1988-1995 Chevrolet Corvette

Front Left fitment
    Style: Slotted
    Finish: Black Rotor Hat
    Note: (Left Front) Slotted vented rotor. For models with 12" rotors. Excludes heavy duty models.
    Manufacturer Part #: 126.62040SL

Front Right fitment
    Style: Slotted
    Finish: Black Rotor Hat
    Note: (Right Front) Slotted vented rotor. For models with 12" rotors. Excludes heavy duty models.
    Manufacturer Part #: 126.62040SR

Need two of each @ $79 a piece. They also have the Alloy Cryo-Treated Rotor but no need for that.

Marc is working on the 3/8" thick brackets and concentric rings. I'm keeping the stock '88 calipers.

FerociousGTO
    I'm a ferocious llama!
    Veteran Member
    Official CFF Post Whore

Topic starter

« Reply #162 on: July 14, 2009, 05:18:36 PM »

Fairy lights came in from Hong Kong today. Note they are running off a 9v battery. With 12v they should be brigther.
    -

I'm not feeling it. Don't get me wrong they don't look bad, just not feeling it.  :think: Passing...

Blacktree
    Administrator
    Official CFF Post Whore

« Reply #163 on: July 15, 2009, 12:14:57 AM »

I think the fairy lights look ricey. tongue
    exoticse
    Veteran Member
    Official CFF Post Whore

« Reply #164 on: July 15, 2009, 10:32:52 AM »

Fairy lights came in from Hong Kong today. Note they are running off a 9v battery. With 12v they should be brigther.
    <Quoted Image Removed> - <Quoted Image Removed>

I'm not feeling it. Don't get me wrong they don't look bad, just not feeling it.  :think: Passing...

hmmm,..kind of torn on this one. IMO the original lights are impressive on their own, and with this addition you are bordering on overkill ??

On the other hand they don't  exactly look terrible either. I think it boils down to personal taste.

If it were me, i would probably have to pass.
    Pages:  1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 20
      Print  

Jump to:  

Go to CFF Club & Vendor links.