MUSICONICA
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: SMC Resin not curing!  (Read 4675 times)
FerociousGTO
I'm a ferocious llama!
Veteran Member
Official CFF Post Whore

Topic starter

« on: July 06, 2008, 07:03:49 AM »

Not happy. It's been 12hr and the fiberglass is still sticky. I'm not sure what I did wrong. I followed the instructions from Evercoat's container.

MIXING:
Add cream hardener to SMC Resin in the proportion of 1 1/2" ribbon of cream hardener to approximately 1 oz. of SMC Resin. This is equivalent to a 6" - 8" ribbon, or 1-teaspoon of cream hardener in a 6fl. oz. cup of resin. Thoroughly mix hardener into SMC Resin. At room temperature (75-80F), the mixture will set in aprox 30 minutes. NOTE: USE OF INSUFFICIENT HARDNER WILL CAUSE SOFT CURING.

I'm trying to understand what I'm doing wrong. I used proportion of 1 1/2" ribbon of cream for every oz. of SMC Resin, unless I misunderstood what a ribbon is.

Thx
sad

'88 GT, 3800 SC II, IMSA/MadCurls widebody combo, Choptop, Borla exhaust, GT-One NSX Headlights, RX-8 mirrors, 18"/20" Axis wheels.
Koenig355
Veteran Member

My car is super fast cause I want it so...problem

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 08:52:36 AM »

Most likely what is happening is that you are not using enough hardener depending on the quantity of resin you are using.

I always mix in small portions and use about 6 to 8 drops  and it cures in about 30 to 45 minutes......a heat lamp would help if you have one,if it is still tacky after  12 hours  chances  are you will have to mix a second batch to cover the  cloth again.

I prefer the liquid hardener and would  use it instead of the strips.............good luck. smile

1985 SE swapped to a fastback with converted  front and rear 88 chassis 4wheel coilover suspension, single turbocharged v8 with meth injection 5 speed, F355 front and rear widebody, custom interior ,push button start 14.5 BMW brakes  with 19"HP wheels 4piston calipers.Sony 7"touchscreen 7" Tablet.
Blacktree
Administrator
Official CFF Post Whore

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2008, 12:40:50 PM »

When mixing resin, you need to measure the amounts of resin and hardener accurately. Otherwise, your curing times will be unpredictable. It's better to use the teaspoon measure, rather than the ribbon technique, because the teaspoon is more accurate. It's also important to have a measuring cup to pour your resin into. You can get them at paint and auto body supply stores. If I remember correctly, Lowes and Home Depot sell measuring cups, too (in the paint section).

I also agree with Koenig355. I think it would be easier to use the liquid hardener (with a measuring spoon) rather than the cream stuff. The cream hardener may be nice to use with putty, but not resin.

If your resin hasn't cured after 12 hours, then it's not going to be usable. You'll have to scrape it off, clean off the residue, and start over. It's a PITA, but has to be done.

Don't allow this to discourage you. Novices always make mistakes. It's part of the learning process. Hell, even the pros make mistakes sometimes.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2008, 02:10:00 PM by Blacktree » Logged
FerociousGTO
I'm a ferocious llama!
Veteran Member
Official CFF Post Whore

Topic starter

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2008, 03:15:25 PM »

Thanks guys. I did use a measuring cup and this SMC Resin only works with cream hardener. I'll try again on a small area.

'88 GT, 3800 SC II, IMSA/MadCurls widebody combo, Choptop, Borla exhaust, GT-One NSX Headlights, RX-8 mirrors, 18"/20" Axis wheels.
FerociousGTO
I'm a ferocious llama!
Veteran Member
Official CFF Post Whore

Topic starter

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008, 07:03:17 AM »

Mike's suggestion worked! I use teaspoon measurement and not the ribbon for the cream hardener. Tried it last night and it worked! My error was the ribbion method I used (not enough cream hardener). Tonight I'll apply it on part of the body.

Thanks guys.
 biggrin

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Go to CFF Club & Vendor links.