MUSICONICA
+  Central Florida Fieros Forum
|-+  Off Topic (non-Fiero talk)» General O/T» Tire Questions -
Username:
Password:
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Tire Questions -  (Read 4554 times)
lsfinn1
Veteran Member

Topic starter

« on: August 27, 2014, 06:51:57 AM »

Hi Guys --
Needing new tires for our camper and wonder if ya'll can help me with a couple of questions -- confused?
The camper has two axles and a bad history of blown tires -- we have all the tires off currently and plan to replace the two oldest tires (2008) in the next day or two in prep for a trip next week.  It would be simple except there are two different tire numbers and I'm not sure which to get. 
What is the difference between st205 / 75r14 vs st205 / 75d14.  I understand one is radial, but which is the better tire for pulling a 30ft travel trailer? Two D tires with rims are cheaper than two R tires, but which is safer?
Can you mix the two types (i.e. 2 r tires and 2 d tires)?
There are two axles - does it matter where the new tires are placed (other than on the same axle)? We plan to put the new tires on the axle that always blows tires...
Thanks for your help,  shy smile

Laura S Finn

88GT silver "The BatMobile"
Pappy
Global Moderator
Official CFF Post Whore

1988 Formula SII-SC 3800 M17 - The Maroon Menace

« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 07:34:07 AM »

Me personally, would go with all raidials

After you get your tires and since it has a history of blowouts

You might want to look into Tyrfil

« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 10:01:59 AM by Pappy » Logged

Pappy - Crusty old retired MSgt
To Err is Human, to Forgive is not SAC Policy
Koenig355
Veteran Member

My car is super fast cause I want it so...problem

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 11:40:24 AM »

Get tires with the same load rating capacity and get trailer tires the side walls are stiffer than car tires that should solve your blow out problems.

1985 SE swapped to a fastback with converted  front and rear 88 chassis 4wheel coilover suspension, single turbocharged v8 with meth injection 5 speed, F355 front and rear widebody, custom interior ,push button start 14.5 BMW brakes  with 19"HP wheels 4piston calipers.Sony 7"touchscreen 7" Tablet.
2002z28ssconv
Administrator
Official CFF Post Whore

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 05:51:08 PM »

There's a trailer shop on 17-92 a few miles south of Anthony's Pizza. They're good guys and I have bought tires for my trailers there in the past. I think they were like $75 each with new wheels and all.

But yeah, it will go down the road with mixed types. It will be a lot safer with 4 radials. Make sure they are ALWAYS inflated properly (usually around 50 PSI) and check them every time you stop for a break. You shouldn't have one that "usually blows out" under normal conditions. You might have bad bearings or even a bent axle.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Go to CFF Club & Vendor links.