MUSICONICA
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bob and Marc's great adventure  (Read 5312 times)
Pappy
Global Moderator
Official CFF Post Whore

Topic starter
1988 Formula SII-SC 3800 M17 - The Maroon Menace

« on: June 26, 2012, 09:32:55 PM »

Well I went to look at yet another Ferrari today and I just had to drag Marc along for the ride - He is actually pretty Ferrari savvy from what I've learned  biggrin

Monsoon Debby was giving us an afternoon break as I wheeled up to the Fisher Mansion private driveway in my diamond encrusted Hummer H4 on 24s. Marc was relaxing by the pool sipping his 1986 Chteau Mouton, snacking on Caspian Sea Caviar and Cheese Nips. You should have seen the look on his face as I drove the Hummer thru his new $60,000 hedge! He just laughed and wagged a finger at me. As I rolled to a stop after grinding over four of those really old Greco/Roman statues he has (I'm mean come on they were already missing limbs and stuff) I said hey dude you up for a ride to check out a cherry 1985 Ferrari 308?

Marc looked over the rubble and replied sure let me get my hat. After what seemed like 10 to 15 minutes he was ready to go, climbed in the H4 - I said whoa there Cowboy you might want to put on some shorts and shoes with that hat, I mean not that the banana hammock isn't sporty but you just don't wear saffron blue and teal blue together on Tuesday  rolleyes

Finally we're on the road up to north central Florida. After what seemed like 15 to 20 minutes we arrived - The gate keeper stepped up to the H4 and said Ah Lord Marc and Bob please wait while I confirm your arrival with the Master and allow your admittance. After what seemed like 20 to 25 minutes Geeves opens the gate. We drove thru and onto the well manicured lawn and parked by the Ferrari to get a good look. Of course Lord Marc was on top of his game and made photographs, but I was saddened by the current state of the beast. After some deliberation and expert eye balling - I respectfully declined to purchase the vehicle.

We drove home discussing the finer points of turning lead into gold and how close Lord Fisher was by using seawater, old soup cans, blood from rabid cats and discarded bits of dental floss. Diner was Italian with a mild Zinfandel and live classical music.

Marc's version may vary a small degree
 cool
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 01:10:03 AM by Pappy » Logged

Pappy - Crusty old retired MSgt
To Err is Human, to Forgive is not SAC Policy
exoticse
Veteran Member
Official CFF Post Whore

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 03:51:14 PM »

Waiting for Marc's version.  biggrin
rpro
Veteran Member

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 07:45:13 PM »

What exactly is it you guys are looking for?
Pappy
Global Moderator
Official CFF Post Whore

Topic starter

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 08:26:03 PM »

Waiting for Marc's version.  biggrin

I know he said he was going post it too...

So how is everyone doing?

Anyone heard from Stan or Juan or Sparky?

2manycars
Official CFF Post Whore

The Chameleon

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 05:39:35 AM »

Sorry guys, been kind of preoccupied lately. I'll post tonight "with pics"!

Marc

• 84 SE - loaded, son's car
    • 85 GT - 3.4 transplant candidate
    • 86 SE/GT - the "Chameleon"
    • 88 Factory T-top (the last one for me)
    blackgtfiero
    Veteran Member

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2012, 09:59:05 AM »

Hey you guys so far so good, getting better with my leg. I am home most of the time but everything is ok, I hope to see you guys soon. smile

BLACK 87 FIERO GT
    Pappy
    Global Moderator
    Official CFF Post Whore

Topic starter

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2012, 02:50:06 PM »

That's good to hear Juan! I dunno if I can make it Thursday but we shall see you soon smile

2manycars
    Official CFF Post Whore

The Chameleon

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2012, 04:26:36 PM »

Well I can't possibly compete with Pappy's story telling abilities, let alone his typing skills, so I won't even try. Suffice it to say car shopping with Pappy is an adventure in itself and mere words often don't do it justice.

The adventure starts with Pappy tooling up to my place and trying to drive his "wife's" car into my Fiero restricted zone!  OMG/Shocked Since Pappy doesn't currently own a Fiero that runs he's reduced to using his wife's lunch lady mobile.  biggrin After grabbing my beer and camera (did I say beer out loud?) off we went to Samsula.

Now Samsula is quite the enclave. Best know during Bike Week for cole slaw wrestling . . . but I digress. Anyway, arriving in Samsula we had to wait while the prospective seller finished work, so we stopped at the Eagle's Nest for . . . you guessed it . . . a beer! Finally, duely fortified with alchohol, we were off to view the car.

The seller's place was down a Florida sand road, and after fording a dilapidated, Indiana Jones style, rope bridge, skirting around a few slithering gators, we arrived at the security gate. We waited to be "buzzed" in after Pappy phoned him fumblingly on his still new as yet, Droid phone.

After the gate creaked open, we spied the Fiero.

The GT was snuggled firmly against the bumper of a pickup truck (no doubt to facilitate checking out the motor) and Pappy and I commented how well the seller had prepared the car for viewing and possible sale.

Here's Pappy (showing us his more photogenic side) doing a closer inspection of the car:

Wait, Pappy, is that . . . could it be . . .

why yes, someone else was looking at the same car!  OMG/Shocked

Quickly we moved to shove him out of the picture so we could finish our inspection. The interior was awe inspiring, what with the broken driver's window and recent torrential rains, but nothing Stan the man couldn't quickly bring back to near show room quality with a bit of soap and water, and assorted auto cleaning products:

A peak under the front hood, revealed a similarly detailed storage area, and I whispered to Pappy (this thing could be confused with Mitch's car . . . what with it's attention to detail and such)!

Anyway, a final inspection of the motor bay revealed a power plant that 2002z28ssconv would envy, and we weren't quite sure what monetary offer would do this car justice.  tongue

In the end, Pappy decided to back away from the buy (after dragging me out after the rains, chattering in my ear during the absolutely intermidable drive from TVille to Samsula about how he figured "this" would be the car, surging and braking the car each time I tried to take a sip of my beer, and otherwise being the perfect road companion, as only Pappy can be)!  wink

In all honesty though, although this isn't quite the car Pappy is looking for, my take was this could be a nice project car for someone willing to do a bit of cleanup on. The seller insists the motor is good, (though it needs the battery charged up and hooked up to verify) and it shows 189k on the clock. It's also hooked to a 5 speed Getrag, so that in itself is something to consider. It appears relatively rust free, so without doing a CarFax I'd guess it to be a southern car for most if not all its life.

If the motor was good, after fixing the broken window this might be a decent Fiero ride. I believe the car could be had for a few hundred, and reminds me of my white GT which I picked up for $300, and mainly did a lot of cleaning on initially before making it my daily driver.

More adventures are to follow. (Maybe we should move these to the Movie section).  :confused:

Marc
    « Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 05:32:19 AM by 2manycars » Logged

Pappy
      Global Moderator
      Official CFF Post Whore

Topic starter

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2012, 05:53:02 PM »

:thumbsup:           :thumbsup:

In the picture that I was in - I was admiring the small floral growth that had sprouted from the drivers side carpet and the Spanish moss hanging from the headliner was pretty posh

Clapton totally caught me by surprise from the trees - So I ran, I ran so far away

fiero
      « Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 08:28:17 PM by Pappy » Logged

rpro
      Veteran Member

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2012, 07:24:41 PM »

I dig the sweat sock in the throttle body. You can't be too careful with contaminents in an exotic powerplant like that.
      2002z28ssconv
      Administrator
      Official CFF Post Whore

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2012, 10:48:31 AM »

I thought that was a high performance air filter.  confused?
      Sparkys 88GT
      Veteran Member

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2012, 04:32:08 PM »

I checked out that car too.  Was very dissapointed....he did claim the engine ran great but could not prove it......I would beware of this one.......the interior was in terrible shape when I looked at it and that was before all the rains we had I can only immagine what its like now.

88 GT 5 Speed..awaiting its new 3.4 heart, 86 GT  built 2.8 auto...
      2manycars
      Official CFF Post Whore

The Chameleon

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2012, 05:49:17 AM »

Why . . . can it be? It's Sparky! Almost as elusive as a Clapton spotting!!

Wassssssup Sparky? Long time no hear!!  OMG/Shocked

Marc

Sparkys 88GT
        Veteran Member

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2012, 05:49:04 PM »

A lot of family issues I had to deal with plus work. It's all getting much better now. I should be at the meeting this Thursday. See you guys there. 😝

88 GT 5 Speed..awaiting its new 3.4 heart, 86 GT  built 2.8 auto...
        rpro
        Veteran Member

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2012, 07:37:27 PM »

Pappy, You might check out this one in Orlando.

http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/062758.html
        Pages: [1]
          Print  

Jump to:  

Go to CFF Club & Vendor links.