MUSICONICA
Pages:  1 [2] 3 4 ... 24
  Print  
Author Topic: Update the interior with a Camaro dash and build of a Koenig 355 Challenge .  (Read 231013 times)
Koenig355
Veteran Member

Topic starter
My car is super fast cause I want it so...problem

« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2008, 09:52:25 AM »

It has been awhile but I recently had to get another Firebird dash  to replace my existing one  that started to crack around the instrument cluster from uv rays constantly hitting it.

One of the differences with these dash and the Fiero is how easy they deteriorate if they are not protected with Armor All or some sort of silicone treatment to keep it supple  and flexible  another alternative is to have it covered in vinyl as this will take of the cracking problem so if you are doing this swap try to get a fairly soft one if it is hard  just pass it by.

You can get the dash pad top and  with a little trimming of the back close  to the windshield this will make it much easier than trying to do the  top filler  in fiberglass.The good thing about this swap it is about the most perfect  dash mod for the Fiero  it looks factory and not ugly as a custom made fiberglass ones, the only other thing is  to get the steering close up and centered is the steering column has to be moved over about 1" to the left this can be done  by modding the brackets that holds it to the frame .
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 11:40:37 AM by Koenig355 » Logged

1985 SE swapped to a fastback with converted  front and rear 88 chassis 4wheel coilover suspension, single turbocharged v8 with meth injection 5 speed, F355 front and rear widebody, custom interior ,push button start 14.5 BMW brakes  with 19"HP wheels 4piston calipers.Sony 7"touchscreen 7" Tablet.
Koenig355
Veteran Member

Topic starter

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2009, 12:41:03 PM »

Here is my new touch screen Sony head unit.

I had to replace the old dash due to some hairline cracks on thge top due to age and uv exposure,the new one was gray so I had to paint it black with  vinyl paint  as regular  paint  would not hold and will remain tacky as the sun hits it also installed a Sony flip touch screen head unit notice new door panels being fitted with speaker pods.

I started to tape out my wheels to paint  the edges daytona blue, the lips will retain the polished aluminum look after I will shoot two coats of clear  to seal in the paint

This is the paint scheme I will be using the reason  why I did not paint the wheels in the body color  is green is an overpowering color and I needed some thing to break it up hence the blue as opposed to this. ;D
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 07:35:32 PM by Koenig355 » Logged

1985 SE swapped to a fastback with converted  front and rear 88 chassis 4wheel coilover suspension, single turbocharged v8 with meth injection 5 speed, F355 front and rear widebody, custom interior ,push button start 14.5 BMW brakes  with 19"HP wheels 4piston calipers.Sony 7"touchscreen 7" Tablet.
Koenig355
Veteran Member

Topic starter

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2009, 04:57:17 PM »

Well here are the front wheels fresh after the edges being painted just need a good cleaning now to bring out the shine btw these are 19" and still have space  for 14" brakes.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 10:52:32 PM by Koenig355 » Logged

Koenig355
Veteran Member

Topic starter

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2009, 09:59:19 AM »

In keeping with changing the interior I decided to add a new 12"carbon fiber steering  and  gauge cluster  that should be here in a few weeks from Hong Kong.I am changing from this

to this

While at it I painted the corvette calipers  and coil spring  in Daytona blue.

and the headlights still not finished  but just needs finalpainting and touch up.

and finish covering the 10" subwoofer with black vinyl to match the center console.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 12:06:57 PM by Koenig355 » Logged

Koenig355
Veteran Member

Topic starter

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2009, 10:39:51 PM »

I started putting  some of the final pieces  to complete  the dash like the above  carbon fiber gauge cluster  and  the steering which has been shipped.There was some wiring left and I installed a mp3 input wiring harness to go with the Sony XAV-7W 7" touch screen head unit.The RFID keyless entry and door poppers  those will be done next before the dash is finally bolted up .

The gauges are left to right oil pressure , digital A/R meter and nitrous oxide pressure
« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 01:31:08 AM by Koenig355 » Logged

Koenig355
Veteran Member

Topic starter

« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2009, 10:44:45 AM »

While browsing yesterday I came across a deal (too cheap to mention the price) on a set of lambo door hinges that was made  for a different unknown car  that I am sure that I can modify to make it work,it  has the heavy duty struts  instead of the puny one's so that  convinced me  to give it a shot.

It is going to  require cutting and welding so that should prove challenging but I know I can  get the right fit luckily I have the right tools.One  reason I did not do this mod before was I would have to take the fender off and my fenders are  molded  to the Ferrari 355 nose  so I have to pull the wheel well  and door to set it up.After it is finished I will bead blast it  the test my new HF powder coat machine.

The only issue I will have to address is my doors are shaved  so there is no outside handles to hold onto but the door pops out driver side first then the passenger side or I will have to mold in  some door handles.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 01:42:04 AM by Koenig355 » Logged

FerociousGTO
I'm a ferocious llama!
Veteran Member
Official CFF Post Whore

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2009, 07:30:19 PM »

Looking good. What clear coat did you use to seal the wheels? POR15 type?

'88 GT, 3800 SC II, IMSA/MadCurls widebody combo, Choptop, Borla exhaust, GT-One NSX Headlights, RX-8 mirrors, 18"/20" Axis wheels.
Koenig355
Veteran Member

Topic starter

« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2009, 11:33:20 PM »

I used PPG clear coat and hardner with an HVLP gun with the pressure  turned down to  spray a light mist  to avoid runs,then I let it dry for about an hour  followed  by two more coats then it was put in the sun for a day.

So far I will wait  awhile  before I attempt cleaning them up.

exoticse
Veteran Member
Official CFF Post Whore

« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2009, 12:16:33 AM »

Koenig these projects are never finished are they ?

We always see something extra we can add.

Makes one afraid to paint cause you might have wished you would have waited for that one last mod.
Koenig355
Veteran Member

Topic starter

« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2009, 01:00:13 AM »

Tony  you are correct on that one that is why it has taken so long top complete  the rebuild, every nut and bolt has been  touched but there is now alight at the end of the tunnel.

Like Troy making your dream car has to be a labor of love especially the sanding and fiberglassing.

Koenig355
Veteran Member

Topic starter

« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2009, 04:36:04 AM »

This is the power plant that I am using a 4.9 turbocharged 5 speed

Recently accquired Corvette/Ferrari taillight that I am in the process of making into a one piece unit.

Made a new set of door pods housing with  a 6.5"mid and a 4.5"full range speakers also adding a pair of 6" steel horns to be hidden up and under the dashboard to create the ideal sound stage with 14 speakers............crazy but I am an audiophile and love sounds.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 09:12:08 AM by Koenig355 » Logged

Koenig355
Veteran Member

Topic starter

« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2009, 04:06:01 PM »

Been trying to get accostomed to my new place  but had a few things to do  like installing a new air horn in place of the old Fiero tired sounding horn,it is about three times louder and annoying but it sounded exotic at least.

Here are a few pics  during the bodywork process,because of the slope associated with the 355 nose I had to lay several layers of fiberglass  to correct that :

just to note in the right side grille (looking at the car) pointing out is the temperature sender for the digital read out dash cluster that came from an 88 Cavalier.

Side scoops are from an early 70's  Firebird and marker lights are from a Toyota Paseo, Firebird heated power mirrors are also in the mix too.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 07:34:29 AM by Koenig355 » Logged

Koenig355
Veteran Member

Topic starter

« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2009, 03:07:56 PM »

Today while scanning ebay UK as I always do looking for parts for my car I came across what I have been trying  to obtain for years....bam there it  was steering back at me.

I would like to provide a link but will have to hold off until tomorrow when the auction closes ,barring any one crazier than me to put up such an insane  bid it should be mine and  my Sniper is set to fire at 1 sec before the end.

These pieces  will be the only the fourth set to be used on a Fiero in all the the years I have been in the Fiero crazyness so that is why I am excited.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 07:36:58 AM by Koenig355 » Logged

FerociousGTO
I'm a ferocious llama!
Veteran Member
Official CFF Post Whore

« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2009, 03:32:54 PM »

Wow pics looks good, my 2-cent... remove this.

I'll call you in a few Keith.

'88 GT, 3800 SC II, IMSA/MadCurls widebody combo, Choptop, Borla exhaust, GT-One NSX Headlights, RX-8 mirrors, 18"/20" Axis wheels.
exoticse
Veteran Member
Official CFF Post Whore

« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2009, 09:47:06 PM »

i actually kind of like that little scoop, kind of gives his car a uniqueness.

Pages:  1 [2] 3 4 ... 24
  Print  

Jump to:  

Go to CFF Club & Vendor links.