MUSICONICA
+  Central Florida Fieros Forum
|-+  Fiero Discussion» Technical» 4-Speed Shifting Problems
Username:
Password:
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 4-Speed Shifting Problems  (Read 218 times)
Ancient Mariner

Topic starter

« on: June 15, 2018, 07:28:39 PM »

Started 1 1/2 months ago. Having a hard time getting into reverse. Wasn't clutch related. Just difficult getting into the reverse fore-aft gate. 2 weeks ago, impossible to get into the reverse gate.  Wednesday, side-to-side movement in neutral went kinda sloppy, and now, even hard left with the shift, 3rd and 4th only, no 1st or 2nd. Any ideas where to start?
2002z28ssconv
Administrator
Official CFF Post Whore

« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2018, 09:25:16 PM »

Have someone move the shifter side to side. Watch the linkage on top of the transmission to make sure it goes up and down. The select cable may be broken.

Rodney sells the best replacements.
Ancient Mariner

Topic starter

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2018, 11:38:23 AM »

Yep, broken. How much of a hassle is it to change it out. Going to order from Rodney the 1st.
2002z28ssconv
Administrator
Official CFF Post Whore

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2018, 10:32:23 AM »

It's not terrible. You'll have to remove the center console and finish the cable through the fire wall. That was the worst of it if I recall correctly.
Ancient Mariner

Topic starter

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2018, 02:05:03 PM »

The continuing saga. I'm beginning to think the Select Cable is intact.  I removed the shift cover/ashtray and moved the shift lever left and right. There is zero (or maybe 1/16") of for to aft movement of the arm that the Select Cable is attached to. The end of the arm moves up and down, but not from front to back. Is there some type of cam or ramp the Select Cable arm is supposed to ride on to give it the for to aft movement?. If so, it's not doing it's job. I can see the exposed end of the cable, and it's not moving in or our at all. Any ideas? If there is a way to post pics, I've got one of the select arm.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 02:46:50 PM by Ancient Mariner » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Go to CFF Club & Vendor links.