MUSICONICA
Pages:  1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 20
  Print  
Author Topic: The FGTO build chronicles  (Read 210533 times)
FerociousGTO
I'm a ferocious llama!
Veteran Member
Official CFF Post Whore

Topic starter

« Reply #135 on: March 06, 2009, 04:35:55 PM »

I still got to adjust the front coilovers a bit but no 47hr wink. Tony it's jacked up.  ;D

Almost there... teaser
- - -

« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 03:34:24 PM by cffuser1 » Logged

'88 GT, 3800 SC II, IMSA/MadCurls widebody combo, Choptop, Borla exhaust, GT-One NSX Headlights, RX-8 mirrors, 18"/20" Axis wheels.
SAFASTRO

« Reply #136 on: March 06, 2009, 11:07:50 PM »

WOW Dave.......I think I might have a new favourite widebody!!!  :o
That thing is gonna snap some necks foresure!!!! Keep them updates comin'.

- Choptop - 10" Stretch - Shortened Nose - Shortened Rear Bumper - DUBS - Widebody -
85LAMB
Veteran Member

« Reply #137 on: March 07, 2009, 09:35:15 AM »

biggrin

The car looks awsome !

Did you drive it around the neighborhood ?
If you did, how did it feel ?
exoticse
Veteran Member
Official CFF Post Whore

« Reply #138 on: March 07, 2009, 12:51:45 PM »

Dave,

The car just looks stupid sick !

mirrors, i want mirrors !
FerociousGTO
I'm a ferocious llama!
Veteran Member
Official CFF Post Whore

Topic starter

« Reply #139 on: March 07, 2009, 09:29:19 PM »

I have to give thanks to Mike for the repairs on the body... Still working on it. Mirrors coming soon... Didn't drive it much, just a few feet away. Suspension is stiff.

Update: I can C in D dark! 6000k Xenons.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 03:37:09 PM by cffuser1 » Logged

'88 GT, 3800 SC II, IMSA/MadCurls widebody combo, Choptop, Borla exhaust, GT-One NSX Headlights, RX-8 mirrors, 18"/20" Axis wheels.
Koenig355
Veteran Member

My car is super fast cause I want it so...problem

« Reply #140 on: March 08, 2009, 12:48:48 AM »

Hey Dave now it is beginning to look like an exotic ,what more can I say adjective  are hard to find to describe the transformation but who has the last laugh now 

1985 SE swapped to a fastback with converted  front and rear 88 chassis 4wheel coilover suspension, single turbocharged v8 with meth injection 5 speed, F355 front and rear widebody, custom interior ,push button start 14.5 BMW brakes  with 19"HP wheels 4piston calipers.Sony 7"touchscreen 7" Tablet.
Blacktree
Administrator
Official CFF Post Whore

« Reply #141 on: March 23, 2009, 06:37:33 PM »

Thanks for the props, Dave. It's pretty cool to be working on such a unique project.

To everyone else, the body work is 99.5% done. The body panels are fitted, mirrors installed, etc. Those RX-8 mirrors look really cool, too. IMO, they're perfect for the car.

Last time I was at Dave's place, he was tweaking the suspension. And I think he still has some wiring to do. Plus, I need to make a couple minor touches on the body work.
exoticse
Veteran Member
Official CFF Post Whore

« Reply #142 on: March 31, 2009, 08:01:54 PM »

Any new pictures with the mirrors installed ?
madcurls

« Reply #143 on: April 01, 2009, 11:53:22 PM »

Almost there... teaser

Nice.  wink End the end; it all comes out okay. As for D10.... represent!  Oh yeah, No love for Pennock's? Post #025 picks.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 11:56:23 PM by madcurls » Logged
DIY_Stu
Veteran Member

« Reply #144 on: April 05, 2009, 06:21:55 PM »

Why would he post on Pennocks? so Cletus would bash him more and more.  Your cars are the reason Archie thinks he can call an incomplete car finished.  Cause you allow him to do it then it must be OK for everyone else. 
Blacktree
Administrator
Official CFF Post Whore

« Reply #145 on: April 05, 2009, 07:13:07 PM »

I agree with DIY_Stu. Archie will just keep pissing on Dave's PFF thread until he either gives up or the thread ends up in the trash can. Apparently, that's how Archie deals with unhappy customers.
Blacktree
Administrator
Official CFF Post Whore

« Reply #146 on: June 04, 2009, 12:05:05 PM »

Alright folks, here's the latest mod to the FGTO. Dave decided that he wanted part of the nose to be removable, to provide more clearance when necessary. He also decided to nix the divider in the center of the grille.

To perform this mod, I basically just sliced the nose in half (along the top edge of the ground effects) and molded in flanges on both halves, so they could be bolted together.

Here are a couple shots of the nose cut in half.
-

I decided that the best way to make the flanges on the two parts was to set one piece on a flat surface to make the flange on that one, and then use that piece as the mold for the second. Since the one flange
will be molded from the other, they should fit each other perfectly.

Dave's garage happens to have a large, flat surface which is really convenient to use... the floor. I put down some packing tape and traced out the outline of the nose piece on it.

Here's the bottom nose piece sitting on the floor.

I then started molding in the fiberglass to make the flange. Here are a couple shots of the process.
-

And finally, a couple shots of the newly modified ground effects piece.
-
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 04:00:41 PM by cffuser1 » Logged
Blacktree
Administrator
Official CFF Post Whore

« Reply #147 on: June 04, 2009, 12:19:02 PM »

Now that the bottom half is done, it's time to work on the top half. Like I mentioned previously, the bottom half was used as the mold for the top half. I covered it in packing tape, set the top piece on it, and went to work.
-

And here are a couple shots of the completed part.
-

At this point, the mod was basically done. But there was something that bugged me, and I just could not leave it be. When the front end was originally installed on the car, the air dam was molded into the nose. Unfortunately, the builder didn't take the time to make the bottom corner match the wheel well liner. See photo below.

I decided to fix that. First, I had to chop out the offending area to make way for new fiberglass. The photo below shows the part I had to cut out.

I extended the lip all the way to the bottom, so the bottom screw hole on the wheel well liner has something to attach to. (and I just realized I forgot to take a photo of that)

And finally, here's a shot of the front end re-assembled.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 04:23:48 PM by cffuser1 » Logged
FerociousGTO
I'm a ferocious llama!
Veteran Member
Official CFF Post Whore

Topic starter

« Reply #148 on: June 04, 2009, 12:56:45 PM »

Mike did a great job like always. The reasons for cutting the bumper are as follows:

1.- Clearance to get the jack under. :notworthy:
2.- Loading FGTO on a open trailer. :hillbilly:
3.- Nose repair if damaged. Hope not! :pray:
4.- Changing the look of the bumper by replacing the mouth peice. 0D

We ran into a dirty little secret cutting the bumper. :shhh:

Left->to->Right. Thin layer of fiberglass(v8Archies)->1/4" thick green bondo(v8Archies favorite bondo color)->fiberglass(FieroWarehouse). Bondo sandwich, why? :naughty: I'm glad I'm not the only Fiero thats coming out of that shop like that. Just sad craftsmanship...  :crybaby:
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 04:24:43 PM by cffuser1 » Logged

SAFASTRO

« Reply #149 on: June 04, 2009, 02:45:19 PM »

WOW........great idea on splitting the nose like that!! And can't wait to see some chin spoiler mods.......Are you gonna make some molds for resell??

Nice snag Dave, on the bondo sandwich thing........

- Choptop - 10" Stretch - Shortened Nose - Shortened Rear Bumper - DUBS - Widebody -
Pages:  1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 20
  Print  

Jump to:  

Go to CFF Club & Vendor links.