MUSICONICA
Pages:  [1] 2 3 ... 20
  Print  
Author Topic: The FGTO build chronicles  (Read 113293 times)
FerociousGTO
I'm a ferocious llama!
Veteran Member
Official CFF Post Whore

Topic starter

« on: January 18, 2008, 12:25:55 AM »

EDIT 03/27/2009
FierociousGT Build The FGTO build chronicles
Renaming build thread

Here is my build. I will have more detail and less BS here. I will also post stuff I can't post on PFF, comments, experience and more regarding this project.

HISTORY
I always like the Fiero Fastback since I saw it an automobile magazine back in the mid eighties while living in Quito, Ecuador, South America.

My '88 Fiero was purchased at eBay in Feb 2006 from a US Air Force personal in Goldsboro, NC.
Price paid was $6851 plus $540 transport to Orlando, FL. The whole process took a week and a half. Mentally exausting since I didn't see the car, trusted the word of a US Military that I was getting what was advertised to me and I did. I don't recommend buying a car from eBay without looking at it first.

Some options it came with are coil overs, GM 3800 SCII, 5-speed getrag, Borla exaust, and etc.
ebay Auction PDF - 3.55mb

MODIFICATIONS
During the time I've had my car I've wanted to modify the body. Found information on PFF regarding V8 Archie's 3" choptop, Mad-Arch widebody and Fiero Warehouse's IMSA widebody, Fiero Store's Turbo Scoops, Driven Vision's Extreme Hood Extractor and the most important experience from others who have venture into this unknown territory.

Image of modifications. Widebody mod not shown.

After not being able to find a reliable Fiberglass body shop in Orlando, I shipped the car to Archies with AM/PM Car Carrier for $650 (would have been $125 less due to broker) and I attended the Choptop Home Comming '07 (Sep 2007). Spoke with Archie regarding this experience with fiberglass bodywork and $$$.

EDIT 06/26/2009
Relinking photos due to CFF site change.

EDIT 07/21/2010
relinking eBay auction PDF.

* 88Fiero3800SCII-ebay20060218.pdf (3641.56 KB - downloaded 329 times.)
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 05:10:18 PM by FerociousGTO » Logged

'88 GT, 3800 SC II, IMSA/MadCurls widebody combo, Choptop, Borla exhaust, GT-One NSX Headlights, RX-8 mirrors, 18"/20" Axis wheels.
FerociousGTO
I'm a ferocious llama!
Veteran Member
Official CFF Post Whore

Topic starter

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 09:20:22 AM »

Here are the choptop progress pics (courtesy of Archie).

- - -

- - -

- -

Rob's a tall guy biggrin!

- - -

- - -

- - -
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 09:34:08 AM by cffuser1 » Logged

'88 GT, 3800 SC II, IMSA/MadCurls widebody combo, Choptop, Borla exhaust, GT-One NSX Headlights, RX-8 mirrors, 18"/20" Axis wheels.
FerociousGTO
I'm a ferocious llama!
Veteran Member
Official CFF Post Whore

Topic starter

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 10:12:23 AM »

Mad-Arch rear widebody install pics. Note this widebody runs from the front doors to the rear bumper. For the front end I'm using the IMSA kit (w/ lots of custom modifications).

- - -

- - -

« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 09:36:43 AM by cffuser1 » Logged

FerociousGTO
I'm a ferocious llama!
Veteran Member
Official CFF Post Whore

Topic starter

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 10:33:56 AM »

'69 Camero bow tie wing (costumized for the widebody Fiero)

- -
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 09:36:55 AM by cffuser1 » Logged

FerociousGTO
I'm a ferocious llama!
Veteran Member
Official CFF Post Whore

Topic starter

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 10:44:56 AM »

Driven Visions hood scoop install pics. This hood scoop cost more money to fix then it's worth.

The BAD:
- First it is NOT hand laided fiberglass.
- Second too thick.
- Third warp in certain parts and not symmetrical in the scoops.

The GOOD:
- DV customer support is very helpful and available.

You'll remember that this car had a hood scoop glassed into the original hood. We didn't get a lot of good pics of it but trust me, it would have taken weeks to make it look right.
So earlier in this thread we took the scoop out of the original hood because starting over on the hood scoop install would take a lot less time. These scoops typically have a lot of warp to them & vary greatly in the thickness of the fiberglass.

- - -

- - -

When we install a hood scoop, we try to leave the original ribs on the underside of the hood. So when we cut the opening in the top layer of the hood we are carefull to leave the ribs in place on the underside of the hood. The more of those ribs you can leave in place the more support you have for your insert & much of the original rubber seal will still be effective in sealing the front compartment.

However that requires that the hood scoop insert you are using is about the same thickness as the thickness of the cutout you made in the hood. That means we had to do a bunch of grinding on the fiberglass.

To get it to lay in there flat we decided to cut the scoop in half to take out a bunch of the warp....

Next we'll fiberglass it inside & out.....

« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 09:37:11 AM by cffuser1 » Logged

FerociousGTO
I'm a ferocious llama!
Veteran Member
Official CFF Post Whore

Topic starter

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2008, 11:07:47 AM »

Green Bondo time...  biggrin

After some fiberglass matt & some filling & sanding the hood is coming along nicely.
-

And some filling & sanding on the bodywork is looking good too.....
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 09:37:24 AM by cffuser1 » Logged

FerociousGTO
I'm a ferocious llama!
Veteran Member
Official CFF Post Whore

Topic starter

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2008, 11:16:39 AM »

Doing some mirror tests with photochop. Looked into several mirrors. Hese are the three I liked.

1.- F348 ($3600 each new OEM) http://www.ferrariusa.com/home.php
2.- F355 ($475 set of folding replicas) http://www.kitcarsforum.com/replica-355-mirrors-t7181.0.html
3.- Diablo ($425 set of folding replicas) http://tinyurl.com/2qwzf6

« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 09:37:36 AM by cffuser1 » Logged

FerociousGTO
I'm a ferocious llama!
Veteran Member
Official CFF Post Whore

Topic starter

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2008, 11:27:41 AM »

Here us my photochop concept of the front end. In this example we are using C5 non popups. Had some issues due to the time it would take to modify the hood for these headlight and they would sit lower in the bumper vs the stock Fiero popup location. I still want my car to look like a Fiero.

C5 non-pop pictures.

First aligning the light before cutting.

Cut and put in place.
-

I requested the headlight to be moved into the fender. Bad observation. I didn't realize that it's not centered with the marker light. The growing pains of customizing. sad

Looks good but due to the angle of the light we can move it up. I want it in a similar location where the stock Fiero HL are located. Not going to happen. It would cost me more time to do the R&D with these HL. I decided to go with what has been proven to work and not venture anymore. Honda/Acura NSX headlight but the OEM ones run close to USD $3000 with all the parts that I need. Not to crazy about these. They even look strange on the NSX IMO. I do some research on these.
-
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 09:37:58 AM by cffuser1 » Logged

FerociousGTO
I'm a ferocious llama!
Veteran Member
Official CFF Post Whore

Topic starter

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2008, 11:34:21 AM »

- - - -

The wheel well will be opened up to allow bigger wheel so they won't rub on the IMSA fender. Note that the IMSA kit was made is the late '80, cars then didn't have 20" wheels.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 09:38:12 AM by cffuser1 » Logged

FerociousGTO
I'm a ferocious llama!
Veteran Member
Official CFF Post Whore

Topic starter

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2008, 11:44:47 AM »

The Diablo replicas arrived from Brazil and the GT-One NSX ones from Japan.

- -

These are H4. I'm going to go with the 6000k which emits 2900lm. I like a little tint of blue.

EDIT:
Added GT-One web link.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 09:38:24 AM by cffuser1 » Logged

FerociousGTO
I'm a ferocious llama!
Veteran Member
Official CFF Post Whore

Topic starter

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2008, 01:25:24 PM »

Flew up to Archie's shop in late December '07 (right after holidays) to check progress and take the new GT-One headlights.

Archie showing me the Fiero Store turbo sail panels w/ glass I asked him to modify for the choptop. Lots of time to get this right and he love 'em. biggrin
- - -
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 09:38:38 AM by cffuser1 » Logged

FerociousGTO
I'm a ferocious llama!
Veteran Member
Official CFF Post Whore

Topic starter

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2008, 01:33:13 PM »

This time charting into known territory again... so we know what to expect. smile Archie has been here before with TroyBoys NSX headlights. Mines are a bit different.

- - -

- - -

- - -

Smile Kris! wink
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 09:38:56 AM by cffuser1 » Logged

FerociousGTO
I'm a ferocious llama!
Veteran Member
Official CFF Post Whore

Topic starter

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2008, 01:46:51 PM »

Quotes from Archie in italic.
We worked on the front end all week. (01-20-2008)

After working the headlight openings Kris went on to glassing in the front air dam & right now the front end is off of the car as he trues up the radii of the front wheel well arches.

I'm here to tell you that it's a lot easier to photoshop in a set of headlights than it is to actually get them installed right.

Here's some pics.

When you're quoting to put something like this together, it's hard to be exact because you never know what you're going to run into.

Here the tops of the fiberglass fenders have too much arc in them & don't match the hood so you spend time grinding down the fiberglass

-

Doing this filling & sanding don't make for a lot of photo opps but it's gotta be done.

We don't get to take the green tape off of the lightrs until we are done with the heavy body work.

Right now the front end is off of the car again for more glass work........

« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 09:39:09 AM by cffuser1 » Logged

FerociousGTO
I'm a ferocious llama!
Veteran Member
Official CFF Post Whore

Topic starter

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2008, 01:52:17 PM »

Here on Troy's nose, you can see how the widemouth front spoiler option gives a good solid "floor" for the front end & also will help to funnel air to the radiator.

Floor will to be added for bumper support.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 09:39:20 AM by cffuser1 » Logged

FerociousGTO
I'm a ferocious llama!
Veteran Member
Official CFF Post Whore

Topic starter

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2008, 01:55:22 PM »

Not much to report, just more sanding filling & shaping.

We've spent more time on the nose of this car than we've spent on everything else.

- -
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 09:39:41 AM by cffuser1 » Logged

Pages:  [1] 2 3 ... 20
  Print  

Jump to:  

Go to CFF Club & Vendor links.