MUSICONICA
Pages:  [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for a racing buddy and a 4T60E wizard  (Read 8965 times)
Greatinspirational

Topic starter

« on: July 13, 2015, 01:35:03 PM »

I recently purchased a NHRA Stock Eliminator FWD Olds Delta 88 with the 3.8. The car is the current record holder for its class in the country. I purchased the car cheap because I got it with a broken trans. Hoping to find someone who is a 4T60 wiz kid and enjoys drag racing to help me out. I pulled out the broken trans ( 4T60 ) and it seems it broke the differential. Not sure if anything else in front of the trans is damaged. I recently inherited a 4T60E. I would like to swap all of the good internals of my broken trans or at the very least my sprocket set (33/37) into the 4T60E. I just ordered a 3.33 limited slip differential as well.
Pappy
Global Moderator
Official CFF Post Whore

1988 Formula SII-SC 3800 M17 - The Maroon Menace

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 06:13:08 PM »

We are a scattered and somewhat eclectic bunch here - Things that might help you in your quest

1. Your rough location - Examples - O-town, Sanford, Casselberry, Cocoa or Titusville
2. Do you enjoy adult beverages - Example - Do you have a beer fridge?
3. Do you have or will you be getting a Fiero - Example - It's kinda what we do here
4. Are you afraid of people that shout their own name intermittently - Example - Marc!
5. Can you lift 40 pounds over your head using only one foot?
6. Do you like dogs?

Happy racing
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 07:28:33 AM by Pappy » Logged

Pappy - Crusty old retired MSgt
To Err is Human, to Forgive is not SAC Policy
Greatinspirational

Topic starter

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 06:28:35 PM »

Haha ! Sounds fair enough

1- I'm in Central Florida ( Wekiva Springs/ Altamonte Springs area )

2- I will have the beer fridge stocked

3- I have owned a Fiero which is how I know about you guys

4- I fit in real well with people who randomly shout

5- No

6- Yes. I also like snakes and Squirrels
uhlanstan
Veteran Member

Carefree derelict, seeks buxom blue eye blond with

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2015, 04:06:49 PM »

you need serious parts for the 4t60e, you need the basket??$500.oo , Im looking for one cheap ,you need 3 parts that will make the car faster & more reliable,,I got your message !!
my transmission guy is heavy into drinking. acquiring a bad reputationthe parts you need are available from TCI & pact & sonax(name?)can not remember the name of the pact people they have the good stuff at expensive rates  
I had posted here a few month ago that you needed some one interested in drag racing
 I helped G I with his fiero then a garbage truck ruin his Fiero experience
 you are going to learn about the 4t60 to survive ,so start now & tell Dinette I said ALOHA !
 the solution is a $2500 transmission ,the tranny blowing is very common ,I trust the previous ownwer neglected to tell you this in a serious manner
you need to go to the pact site & learn all you can if you are serious yopu probably already know it ,I just can not remember the name ..I can rebuild all sort of stuff once it is out of the car.
getting to the chain & sprockets is easy ,,
 I hate the dog still
he is friendly ,has a beautiful wife & an active  son,a pit bull  lives in a upscale  shack
stan
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 04:12:06 PM by uhlanstan » Logged

why belong to a club that had me as a member ?
uhlanstan
Veteran Member

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2015, 12:07:14 AM »

you will need the parts kit for the acumulator ,it is cheap
will the 4t60E need a change in the wire & programming ?
 i can help with the mechanicals & some change in wireing I do not know crap about a fiero ,but I know this stuff
 there is a chance you did not get the straight scoop on the trannies
pappy would mak good track buddie
you need a torsden,but any lim slip will do ,you will need the sun gear
you start with pulling the acumulator,, , you need a work bench with a white beach towel laying  on it...
,,,some plastic peanut butter bottles  towel laying on it ..
no sweat,just use care to lay out the parts
 I have spent to many years of my life ,, ,
,at race tracks ,..hate them now !!
Im up for the machanical work
read  the stuff about patc & sonnax
you will become the trannie wizard
 the 4t60 is the direct descendant of the fiero 3 speed T125
I could not find the page with the correct info on the 4t60e,check out thier web site..

Greatinspirational

Topic starter

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2015, 01:20:12 PM »

Hey Stan !! I SHOULD have all the parts I need between the 2 transmissions. Most of the internals of my broken trans are good. He dry hopped it doing a burnout and blew the differential up. the spider gears in the differential are all blown apart and the case is cracked at the back. It's looking like everything in front of the differential is good though. Anything that's not good I also have a completely functioning 4T60e out of a 96 Olds 88. I want a 3.73 final drive ratio. The combination of a 3.33 differential with a 33/37 sprocket set gives you a 3.73 final drive. I am 99.9% sure my donor trans does not have either

A) the 3.33 differential

Or

B) The 33/37 sprocket set

I however have the 33/37 set in my broken trans and want to swap that into my donor trans to take care of part B of the equation. For Part A I am ordering a limited slip racing differential from Engineered Performance. Not Cheap !!

I will indeed need to do some programming as well when this is all complete. Do you know any 4T60 gurus who could oversee our work ?

I went to the Fiero site because I know a lot of Fiero guys like to swap out that 125 for the 4t60. I also have a 125 that's race ready and has a 3.96 final drive that I would love to use but I have to fabricate mounts to make it work
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 01:23:13 PM by Greatinspirational » Logged
Greatinspirational

Topic starter

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2015, 01:22:22 PM »

Я
uhlanstan
Veteran Member

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2015, 02:51:48 PM »

My transmission guy has return to heavy drinking,his first love!!,he has a shop in lake mary,he is accumulating a bad reputation 
 I,will come over in the next week & we will pull it apart ,its just a part
 I find it difficult to beleave he had a national winner with a stock 4t60??..but the 3.8 does not eat tranny parts like a V8.
 the sun gear & planet have  to be checked if the transmission came apart.
 do you plan to  drive this car around town or will you tow it to the track
check out the patc transmission site .
 I can not find the proper 4t60e site on patc but will when I am motivated
patc & sonnax have some good stuff
 your car should have had some modifications !!
is the car stripped down or basic transportation stock seats ect.

uhlanstan
Veteran Member

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2015, 02:59:56 PM »

the replacement  transmission has to at a minimum have the accumulator come out   
the 4t60 is weak stock ,the initial checks will be for cracks & leaks
change the electronic is fun you will not like .but it has been done & info is on the net
I have worked with the G.M.400

Greatinspirational

Topic starter

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2015, 03:09:32 PM »

NHRA stock eliminator rules are very strict. It's to keep it cheap so entry level peasants like me can compete. Don't get me wrong - there are guys out there running COPO Camaros, Drag Pak Challengers and Cobra Jet Mustangs for over 100K. My little 3K Olds though can compete because it is a dial in class. I qualify against an index and then eliminations is all dial in. So my 14 second Olds can put a 100k + car on the trailer if I do my job cutting a good light and dialing the car in properly. This car has been run all over the country since the mid to late 80s. I've talked to the original trans builders and they don't recall if anything has been modded out. Some guys will lighten up internals or modify valve body but I am not sure if that has been done to my car. That's why a 4T60 master would be nice to look at the components and be able to determine if my olds parts have had any special treatment. The car was and still is the record holder for the class. The index is 15.60 and it has run a 14.80 which is 8 tents under the index. Here is a video of Stock Eliminator running so you can check out what the class looks and sounds like. Cool stuff

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TqkJLbxlXSI
Greatinspirational

Topic starter

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2015, 03:24:54 PM »

And it will be towed to the track. It's strictly a race car. Here's a short video of the car

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xiJ7k_t_ejU

Pappy
Global Moderator
Official CFF Post Whore

1988 Formula SII-SC 3800 M17 - The Maroon Menace

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2015, 07:02:40 PM »

As usual - All the fun is over near O-town!

Not all of us but most Fiero owners are "jacks of all trades masters of none"
I've always felt that Blacktree was our resident transmission expert, but I ain't seen or heard much from him since one of the Mars rovers spotted that Iguana

However, if Stan comes over he'll help sort things out - Just be aware he told me he dislocated his spleen and sprained his left clavicle watchin American Ninja Warrior on youtube

Where do you plan to race at?

Pappy - Crusty old retired MSgt
To Err is Human, to Forgive is not SAC Policy
Greatinspirational

Topic starter

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2015, 03:01:31 PM »

Yes Stan has been over before. He is great ! Highly entertaining,  I enjoy his company despite the fact that he wants to murder my dog and bang my wife. I'm hoping to compete for points next year. Stock eliminator points are accumulated at 3 national and 5 divisional races. They pretty much cover Florida, Georgia, Alabama and into the Carolinas. We will see what my ridiculous budget allows me
Old Lar
Veteran Member

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2015, 10:05:28 PM »

Stan can be somewhat confused at his age.  He may want to bang your dog and murder your wife. biggrin
uhlanstan
Veteran Member

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2015, 04:52:03 PM »

can not post
clean tranny still assemble
scrap,brush, then apply GUNK,or brush with soap & clean with warm water
it must be clean
 you need workarea where we will not trip or stumble,most home built transmissions fail
we should have no trouble going down to chain

Pages:  [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Go to CFF Club & Vendor links.