MUSICONICA
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Any one here running power steering on their car ??  (Read 7859 times)
Koenig355
Veteran Member

Topic starter
My car is super fast cause I want it so...problem

« on: February 03, 2008, 12:01:00 PM »

Kinda curious ...... is there anyone here  that is using or adapted a  power steering system on their Fiero?, what are your thoughts if it is needed  or you can do without it let me hear  your feedback  on this and would you buy a kit if it was produced.

1985 SE swapped to a fastback with converted  front and rear 88 chassis 4wheel coilover suspension, single turbocharged v8 with meth injection 5 speed, F355 front and rear widebody, custom interior ,push button start 14.5 BMW brakes  with 19"HP wheels 4piston calipers.Sony 7"touchscreen 7" Tablet.
FerociousGTO
I'm a ferocious llama!
Veteran Member
Official CFF Post Whore

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2008, 12:07:34 PM »

I'm thinking about it. I know Archie has one in the works he's going to install on TroyBoy's car. MadCurls has power steering on his Fiero by http://www.design1systems.com. I think it runs about USD $1000.

'88 GT, 3800 SC II, IMSA/MadCurls widebody combo, Choptop, Borla exhaust, GT-One NSX Headlights, RX-8 mirrors, 18"/20" Axis wheels.
Koenig355
Veteran Member

Topic starter

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2008, 12:59:25 PM »

I have a bolt on kit  that uses the F body power steering rack that  works  on the 85 thru 88 fieros ,it required  removing the original mounts and bolting the F body rack  and adapter to the fiero crossmember.This is a low budget set up that uses a GM style  rear mounted pump and resevoir and the  whole setup was under $500 ;D
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 02:13:36 PM by Koenig355 » Logged

1985 SE swapped to a fastback with converted  front and rear 88 chassis 4wheel coilover suspension, single turbocharged v8 with meth injection 5 speed, F355 front and rear widebody, custom interior ,push button start 14.5 BMW brakes  with 19"HP wheels 4piston calipers.Sony 7"touchscreen 7" Tablet.
FerociousGTO
I'm a ferocious llama!
Veteran Member
Official CFF Post Whore

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2008, 04:45:15 PM »

If I'm not mistaken the '88 has PS mount on the suspension. Might need minor modification.

'88 GT, 3800 SC II, IMSA/MadCurls widebody combo, Choptop, Borla exhaust, GT-One NSX Headlights, RX-8 mirrors, 18"/20" Axis wheels.
Archie
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2008, 09:14:38 AM »

I'd be interested to see what you have for a kit.

I'm not interested in designing a kit for the PS. I have a few customers that are wanting PS & I'd rather be buying a kit from someone than designing my own.

Thanks

Archie

I have a bolt on kit  that uses the F body power steering rack that  works  on the 85 thru 88 fieros ,it required  removing the original mounts and bolting the F body rack  and adapter to the fiero crossmember.This is a low budget set up that uses a GM style  rear mounted pump and resevoir and the  whole setup was under $500 ;D
Koenig355
Veteran Member

Topic starter

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2008, 07:45:45 AM »

Due to not enough interest in these kits  only 3 set were produced  and there is 1 set that is incomplete and missing a few parts.

The kit consisted of the 1 Firebird rack, mounting bracket,pump assembly and mounting bolts the end user had to have the pressure hose made locally because of the varying length of hose for the different engine combinations. The racks  ends also had to be modified to the length necessary to fit the  spindle assembly and either the Fiero or the Firebird tie rods could be used.

FerociousGTO
I'm a ferocious llama!
Veteran Member
Official CFF Post Whore

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2008, 10:42:29 AM »

Koenig355, why don't you take one to the 25th? Sure there will be interest.

Koenig355
Veteran Member

Topic starter

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2008, 09:02:21 AM »

No  that is not in my plans right now, I actually have 2 kits after checking yesterday and I am not too fussy to sell them at least for now. On another discovery I made yesterday  while  installing my power steering hose I noticed  I had a bad tierod end, I decided to change it so I went to the parts store  only to find out that the Firebird Z28 and the Fiero is the same piece.

So the Fiero  tierod  is more expensive and  not as heavy duty as the Z28 Firebird  ends   wink

« Last Edit: March 14, 2008, 08:15:33 AM by Koenig355 » Logged

Koenig355
Veteran Member

Topic starter

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2008, 07:42:01 AM »

Here is a   new pic of the rack before  installing it in the car:

« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 11:53:37 AM by Koenig355 » Logged

Koenig355
Veteran Member

Topic starter

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2008, 03:20:19 PM »

Today I took out the car for a test of the power steering unit that I designed and installed and all I can say is Wooooo ( ala Rick Flair) it is like night and day  than previously, aside from the new feel the handling is much nicer and the ratio is much faster.

It takes a little getting used to  but about 15 minutes it feels normal and the road feel is still there, on a scale of 10  i'd put it at a 9.5 for the average person but if you are mechanically inclined it is much less especially if you have  the proper tools.

You have to drop the  front suspension in order to remove the old rack mounts with a  cut off tool inb order to bolt the bracket on with a little trimming of the crossmember,then mount the bracket and Firebird rack drill 4 holes  and that is it.The ends  have to be shortened  and retreaded  for the tierods I used the Firebird ends as they are more robust than the Fiero.

The best part is that the stock steering rod just slides on to the Firebird rack... the Ford Mustang  rack to me is better suited by the positioning of the  steering box but you will have to modify the shaft  for it to work whereas the  Fiero shaft just slides on.

The Corvette ,Vipers has it just like other modern  sports cars  so why not the Fiero ;D
« Last Edit: June 28, 2008, 08:59:08 AM by Koenig355 » Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Go to CFF Club & Vendor links.