MUSICONICA
+  Central Florida Fieros Forum
|-+  Fiero Discussion» Technical» BatMobile Issues and Updates
Username:
Password:
Pages:  1 ... 14 15 [16]
  Print  
Author Topic: BatMobile Issues and Updates  (Read 55951 times)
lsfinn1
Veteran Member

Topic starter

« Reply #225 on: January 26, 2018, 08:25:41 AM »

Hey Marc -
I have  read the info in Pappy's links and printed it up, didn't see anything about having to drop the tranny though...   OMG/Shocked  We have a lot more room to work now than we used to -- poured some concrete on the camper side of the patio. 
I'll  let you know how it goes...  shy smile

Laura S Finn

88GT silver "The BatMobile"
2manycars
Global Moderator
Official CFF Post Whore

The Chameleon

« Reply #226 on: January 27, 2018, 06:09:00 AM »

Alright, I've been thinking a lot about TCC's in the last couple of days (thanks Isfinn1)!  confused?

Time to revisit the "dumb" questions (I'm really good at dumb questions).

Anyway, have you checked the adjustment on the TCC control cable? Might be a good time to clean it up, put some fresh lube on it, and especially clean and check the TCC ratchet adjuster and recalibrate it before you dig into a big project.

Marc

• 84 SE - loaded, son's car
    • 85 GT - 3.4 transplant candidate
    • 86 SE/GT - the "Chameleon"
    • 88 Factory T-top (the last one for me)
    lsfinn1
    Veteran Member

Topic starter

« Reply #227 on: January 29, 2018, 10:06:22 AM »

Yesterday, I did successfully change the filter and gasket, but have not yet started on the TCC (other than cleaning some of the gunk off from around that side). 

Anyway, have you checked the adjustment on the TCC control cable? Might be a good time to clean it up, put some fresh lube on it, and especially clean and check the TCC ratchet adjuster and recalibrate it before you dig into a big project.
    Marc

confused? confused? shy tongue confused? confused?  shy shy  ummmm????  I'll look into that....

Laura S Finn

lsfinn1
    Veteran Member

Topic starter

« Reply #228 on: January 29, 2018, 04:21:45 PM »

Well, I looked at the FSM to reference Marcs suggestion and, well... it's way over my head, lots of greek.   confused?

Quick question (might be dumb, but please forgive me)   shy-- I drove it onto ramps for the filter / gasket change.  For the next phase I need to remove the wheel, but my jack isn't tall enough to get above the ramps (at least  not without putting the jack on blocks and not sure how comfortable I am with that).   rolleyes
    So my plan now is to roll her off the ramps and then jack her up... But, I haven't added new fluid yet (since the TCC is next) ---is it OK to roll the car at this point; with very little if any transmission fluid? Or should I just suck it up and put the jack on blocks to raise the car above the ramps, so I can remove the wheel? 

I'm probably making it more complicated that necessary, but want to be careful....
    Thanks, as always.   I really appreciate your help (and your patience).  Plus, I want to get this done so I can drive to the meeting Thursday ^^0^^

Laura S Finn

2manycars
    Global Moderator
    Official CFF Post Whore

The Chameleon

« Reply #229 on: January 30, 2018, 02:28:52 PM »

When you say "roll the car" do you mean under power? You shouldn't operate the tranny with little or no fluid.

If you just want to "roll" it back and forth by hand, no problem.

Marc

lsfinn1
      Veteran Member

Topic starter

« Reply #230 on: January 30, 2018, 02:57:00 PM »

Thanks Marc,  Yes, thought I would just put it in neutral and roll it off the ramps.  Problem is, I seem to be getting weaker with advancing age and so far, I can't seem to push it over the lip on the ramp -- really embarrassing and frustrating.  shy rolleyes   Tom is currently in SFL, he offered to help me move it before he left, but we just never got to it.

I may end up adding transmission fluid so I can drive it to the meeting, but then I'll have to drain it again  rolleyes
      Oh well, things happen for a reason -- or at least I hope so.. ^^0^^

Laura S Finn

2manycars
      Global Moderator
      Official CFF Post Whore

The Chameleon

« Reply #231 on: January 30, 2018, 04:41:40 PM »

Actually adding the fluid and giving it a drive is not a bad idea.

I didn't want to criticize your efforts after you'd done so much work, but I would have checked the TCC cable first - adjust - then give it a drive to see what happens.

If it's still not working properly then you could go ahead and drain the fluid and do all the work.

This way you'll know where you're at. A better move.

Marc

lsfinn1
        Veteran Member

Topic starter

« Reply #232 on: January 30, 2018, 07:25:00 PM »

Thanks Marc,
        I'll do that.   Your input (and that of anyone in the club) is  certainly not viewed as criticism, after all -- you have experience and know what your doing.   I, on the other hand, I'm trying to learn and deeply indebted to everyone's help in keeping the BatMobile running.    shy  Wishing there were some Jeep folks out there like ya'll. sad
        So how do I go about checking / adjusting the TCC cable?  :confused: confused?   

Laura S Finn

2manycars
        Global Moderator
        Official CFF Post Whore

The Chameleon

« Reply #233 on: January 31, 2018, 10:37:14 AM »

Isfinn1:

Here's the procedure from the 88 Service Manual:

It's cryptic to say the least.

I'd try a look-up on Pennock's for "Kick Down Cable adjustment". (Someplace I have a copy but no time to find it today)!  sad

What the cable does in fact is it over rides the TCC solenoid to prevent it from locking up.

As an example, if you were driving towards a traffic light intersection and the light suddenly changed yellow, if you "kicked down" the accelerator (mashed the gas), the transmission would down shift to accelerate and this cable would tell the transmission not to "clutch lock" while you were accelerating.

When the TCC solenoid malfunctions (a typical problem with our cars and this transmission) the opposite effect happens: the clutch lock functions normally (like a 4th gear) but then doesn't unlock when you slow down. The result is the engine stalls when you come to a stop as the transmission is "locked" in gear.

What I'm curious about with your car is the TCC is not locking up (shifting like a 4th gear) which is the opposite of the normal failure. Now it could be the TCC solenoid is indeed bad. It could also be a bad electrical connection or a poorly adjusted or non functioning TV/TCC cable.

If you look down on the top of the transmission on the driver's side, you should see an electrical connection going into the transmission. This is the electrics for the TCC solenoid. Right next to that should be a cable going into a boot/plug in the transmission, which is the TV/TCC cable. The other end of the that cable is attached to the throttle body along with the accelerator cable and the cruise control cable.

The trick is figuring out which item is causing the problem?  biggrin

If the cable is not adjusted properly it can prevent "lock-up" when you want it to, which is what your car is doing. Just sayin. Hard to diagnose blind from 40 miles away!  OMG/Shocked But I do my best?  smile

Marc
        « Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 10:38:49 AM by 2manycars » Logged

lsfinn1
          Veteran Member

Topic starter

« Reply #234 on: January 31, 2018, 01:03:00 PM »

Thanks Marc, Yeah, I reference that manual a lot and generally like it better than Haynes or Chiltons, but this time it just reminds me that I'm really clueless.  So when you say TCC cable, that's the TV cable?  confused?
          I've been researching online -- Pennocks, Ogre etc.  and found several write-ups on adjusting this, but I need visuals.  ^^0^^
          Added fluid this morning and pulled her off the ramps, but still need to let her run and make sure the level is correct.  I plan to take her for a short spin to the post office after lunch and will dive into more research on the TV etc when I get back.  Thanks again... smile shy

Laura S Finn

lsfinn1
          Veteran Member

Topic starter

« Reply #235 on: March 16, 2018, 07:46:59 AM »

Should have updated this long ago ---
          I had a local transmission shop test drive the BatMobile and he thought it was shifting fine and that the rpm issue is the gauge  shy shy.  I'm not totally convinced, but it's back burner again for the time being.  ^^0^^

Meanwhile -- Does anyone need trailer tires / wheels or know someone who does?  We have two basically new Goodyear Endurance trailer tires (205 75R14 purchased in Jan and driven ~700 miles).  We traded our 2004 camper trailer in for a 2013 and planned to install the new tires on the 'newer' trailer, but turns out it needs 15 inch tires.  rolleyes  We paid >  $300 ($105 / tire plus the extras).  Maybe I should put this in the classified section..  I'll try to post photos....

Laura S Finn

2manycars
          Global Moderator
          Official CFF Post Whore

The Chameleon

« Reply #236 on: March 17, 2018, 06:30:35 AM »

Hey Isfinn1:

Sorry I've been so out of touch lately. Hard to believe I can be so busy and "retired"!  confused?

Have one of the "boys" take a drive in your car next time a few of us are together. The "seat of our pants" can quickly determine what the real issue is.

In the meantime once I get back from Ohio in April let's see what you've got left to be done and figure out how to get together and get it done.

Marc

Pages:  1 ... 14 15 [16]
              Print  

Jump to:  

Go to CFF Club & Vendor links.