MUSICONICA
+  Central Florida Fieros Forum
|-+  Fiero Discussion» Technical» BatMobile Issues and Updates
Username:
Password:
Pages:  [1] 2 3 ... 17
  Print  
Author Topic: BatMobile Issues and Updates  (Read 65902 times)
lsfinn1
Veteran Member

Topic starter

« on: December 23, 2012, 03:18:15 PM »

Hey Ya'll --
Well it warmed up a bit and I got a chance to check a few things out on my new coolant leak issue -- hoses and belt all seam tight, no leaking up front, but a slow steady leak from the engine area -- here are two photos from above and below -- I also checked error codes and fuses and all are OK.  What do ya'll think?? Do I need to start looking for a new water pump or are there other things I should check?

image from below

image from above

Laura S Finn

88GT silver "The BatMobile"
Sparkys 88GT
Veteran Member

« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2012, 04:23:22 PM »

My first guess would be the water pump.  Try feeling under the pulley at 5 to 7 oclock position and see if you have antifreeze there.  On the bottom side there is a small hole in the housing and that is where the leak will likely be coming from.  Fairly common issue for most cars with the age of ours for the pump seals to go bad.  Good news is they can be found very easily in all the local parts stores.....

88 GT 5 Speed..awaiting its new 3.4 heart, 86 GT  built 2.8 auto...
Pappy
Global Moderator
Official CFF Post Whore

1988 Formula SII-SC 3800 M17 - The Maroon Menace

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2012, 12:28:51 AM »

Correct but remember we are boycotting Autozone

For this

http://radio.foxnews.com/toddstarnes/top-stories/autozone-fires-worker-who-stopped-robbery.html

Well I am anyway - Canceled my account and gave this as my reason

snippit - I regard them as my family, McLean said of his co-workers. Youre not going to leave your brother or sister behind. Its a lesson he learned in the Air Force.

However Autozone doesn't have those kind of "Family Values" I reckon  :confused:
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 12:37:54 AM by Pappy » Logged

Pappy - Crusty old retired MSgt
To Err is Human, to Forgive is not SAC Policy
lsfinn1
Veteran Member

Topic starter

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2012, 08:21:04 AM »

Thanks for your input, Sparky and Pappy --
Looks like I'll be attempting to purchase (not from Autozone) and replace the water pump after Christmas, yuck  -- meanwhile any special tips or tricks I should be aware of before I dig in?  If everything goes well, I might even make it to the January meeting -- it's been 4 - 5 months since I've seen ya'll. 

Happy Christmas Eve ya'll -- Hope everyone has a great Holiday!!! smile

Laura S Finn

Old Lar
Veteran Member

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2012, 09:28:54 AM »

Just remember which bolts go in what hole.  If I recall there are a few different bolt sizes. 
lsfinn1
Veteran Member

Topic starter

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2012, 11:26:11 AM »

Thanks Lar --
Yeah, seems that's a big theme, I've been researching the procedure all day -- looking at the pennock forum etc.  It looks a little intimidating and will probably take me a couple of days for sure ^^0^^.   shy

Laura S Finn

Old Lar
Veteran Member

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2012, 01:15:38 PM »

I took the easy way out and had GT Service do the water pump on my 88.  They discovered a leak problem when it was in for service for some other issue.  I have a low frustration level when doing repairs on the Fieros, even though I do many, but only what I consider simple ones.
Sparkys 88GT
Veteran Member

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2012, 08:25:54 PM »

Need tone careful to not break these soon the timing cover while changing the pump. But on the other hand could be an opportunity to check the timing chain!!!!!

88 GT 5 Speed..awaiting its new 3.4 heart, 86 GT  built 2.8 auto...
lsfinn1
Veteran Member

Topic starter

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2012, 08:40:51 AM »

I took the easy way out and had GT Service do the water pump on my 88.    I have a low frustration level when doing repairs on the Fieros.

Merry Christmas Lar (and all my CFF friends)-- I find it frustrating also and would love to take 'the easy way' if we could afford it  shy.   But, DIY is a heck of a lot cheaper and I kind-of enjoy it (in all honesty, not sure what I'd do without the help of folks on this list ....thank you!  smile.)
So, here's a link to the WP I plan to pick up after Christmas -- http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_new-water-pump-toughone-or-gmb_5421721-p?searchTerm=water+pump#fragment-1

Laura S Finn

lsfinn1
Veteran Member

Topic starter

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2012, 08:51:02 AM »

Quote from: Sparkys 88GT link=topic=2210.msg14091#msg14091 [/quote

Thanks Sparky -- Yeah I've been reading about that risk and have seen conflicting info on the best way to remove the pulley etc... confused?   No doubt, I'll be asking ya'll lots of questions / sending photos etc  smile
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 06:56:01 AM by lsfinn1 » Logged

Laura S Finn

Old Lar
Veteran Member

« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2012, 09:46:57 AM »

Just make sure the water pump has a metal impeller not plastic as plastic will fail.
lsfinn1
Veteran Member

Topic starter

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2012, 06:54:04 AM »

Good morning my fiero friends -- Hope ya'll had a good Christmas. smile 
Before I get started on my Waterpump replacement project, I've been reading about the process (on pennocks mostly) and hope ya'll can help me clear up a couple of things ...... confused?

Any holes that extend into the water jacket require that the bolt have a liberal amount of RTV on the end to seal the bolt threads. All other bolts should have a very light coating of engine oil. The small bolts going into the timing cover itself should have a thin coat of anti-seize to prevent electrolytic corrosion.
OK, I'm clear on the anti-seize and the RTV for the bolts, but .. should thread sealant be used in place of engine oil for the other bolts?? (see this link)  http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/117597.html

Also found this ....
(Dont bother removing the battery shield and the junction box next to the battery. I did not do either and found that I still had sufficient room to work. )
Will this be easier or should I go ahead and remove these and take advantage of the opportunity to clean the wiring etc??

Next -- which of the below is correct???
Loosen and remove the four bolts holding the water pump pulley in place. There is no need to loosen the alternator belt.

access to the bolts is severely limited by the water pump pulley. The solution was to remove the pulley after removing the belt, before loosening any of the water pump bolts!

Thanks for your help guys -- I have a few more questions that I'll add a little later  shy

Laura S Finn

lsfinn1
Veteran Member

Topic starter

« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2012, 07:27:20 AM »

Hey everyone. We installed dodge runners belt tensioner today. We need a new alternator bracket for her car. First off the bolt thru the top of the alternator is seized tight and second the bracket broke in half. So if there is anyone out there with one we could sure use it. The unit is installed and works great but the bracket should be changed.

This was before tech day last year ...  do ya'll remember if a new alternator bracket was installed on the tech day (Feb last year) and / or will this be a factor I'll need to consider during the waterpump project?

Laura S Finn

lsfinn1
Veteran Member

Topic starter

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2012, 07:40:07 PM »

Hey Ya'll --
Picked up the water pump (no plastic!!) this morning and hope to start something tomorrow (was in Jacksonville all day today).
I think I have everything I need, but have a 'dumb' question regarding torque?? We don't have a torque wrench... how important is this and should I invest in one?? (please forgive my 'ignorance')  rolleyes
Sorry to keep bugging ya'll -- your help / advice is really appreciated.  smile shy
Thanks again -- Laura

Laura S Finn

rpro
Veteran Member

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2012, 09:11:28 PM »

I don't think it's that critical, just use common sense and don't over tighten. Be especially careful of the two bolts around that "un-supported" area of the timing cover. I believe it's around the 11 o'clock position.
Pages:  [1] 2 3 ... 17
  Print  

Jump to:  

Go to CFF Club & Vendor links.