MUSICONICA
Pages:  [1] 2 3 ... 24
  Print  
Author Topic: Update the interior with a Camaro dash and build of a Koenig 355 Challenge .  (Read 151222 times)
Koenig355
Veteran Member

Topic starter
My car is super fast cause I want it so...problem

« on: April 09, 2008, 09:50:56 AM »

After restoring the Fiero dash with leather it still looked aged so I decided to upgrade it for a more modern look with one from a 2002 Firebird Trans Am. This mod is not for the feint of heart because there is cutting involved and other modification to the airbox but the final result  should be fine.

I started  to look around for a replacement dash but most of them were either cracked or damaged otherwise so I kept on looking and found one in Orlando (pending  removal and pick up)in perfect condition for a very reasonable price $ 100 most upick yards ask about $75 my local yard ask $35 without the gauges so I started ahead of the game to prepare.Since the interior is going to be custom I took out  every thing and started to rebuild new headliner ,center console,door panels only the dash needs to be finished  and new carpet laid  down.

The steering column was lowered and the support removed with a  rotary cut off wheel, now  the bracket was modified and welded to support the steering column also mounting tabs were welded in to adjust the height of the  the gap of the fire bird dash.Still unable to post pics ???.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 10:31:58 AM by Koenig355 » Logged

1985 SE swapped to a fastback with converted  front and rear 88 chassis 4wheel coilover suspension, single turbocharged v8 with meth injection 5 speed, F355 front and rear widebody, custom interior ,push button start 14.5 BMW brakes  with 19"HP wheels 4piston calipers.Sony 7"touchscreen 7" Tablet.
Koenig355
Veteran Member

Topic starter

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2008, 05:17:20 PM »

Today  I got up real early  5am and made the 4 hours drive to Orlando (need to get some friends there wink)to pick up a perfect black Firebird dash  that was in excellent condition it was a long drive but was worth it. On returning I scoured it down  and test fitted it and it dropped right in place thanks to the early preparation.

Tomorrow I will finishing making the air box from the Fiero and mate it to the Firebird dash also have to make provision for an adittional gauge cluster will keep you guys posted.

1985 SE swapped to a fastback with converted  front and rear 88 chassis 4wheel coilover suspension, single turbocharged v8 with meth injection 5 speed, F355 front and rear widebody, custom interior ,push button start 14.5 BMW brakes  with 19"HP wheels 4piston calipers.Sony 7"touchscreen 7" Tablet.
FerociousGTO
I'm a ferocious llama!
Veteran Member
Official CFF Post Whore

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2008, 05:52:46 PM »

Damn, you should have call me to grab a beer wink. Plz post pic once mounted.

'88 GT, 3800 SC II, IMSA/MadCurls widebody combo, Choptop, Borla exhaust, GT-One NSX Headlights, RX-8 mirrors, 18"/20" Axis wheels.
Koenig355
Veteran Member

Topic starter

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 01:21:19 PM »

May be next time Dave .....any how was fun at least the drive  to and from ,I am now making and mounts  a new center console something similar to that of the 355 and will be covered in black leather with a black plexiglass inserts the only thing different is  it won't have that chrome shifter plate.Still haven't been able to post pics ;D

Koenig355
Veteran Member

Topic starter

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 10:37:19 AM »

I continued making over the center shifter and arm rest console,I used mdf insteadof plywood as it is more easy to work with and after several fitting I did get it right now it is going to the shop to be covered.

This is the 3rd interior change the car is going through but hopefully it is the last  :smile yeah right  as I said that before, the dash is coming out again to try and fit and adapt a HUD (heads up display)from a bonneville in the Firebird dash.

Koenig355
Veteran Member

Topic starter

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2008, 11:29:53 AM »

I finally decided on the color scheme of my car and this time it is final here it is:

« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 09:40:51 PM by Koenig355 » Logged

Koenig355
Veteran Member

Topic starter

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2008, 08:50:26 AM »

After  pulling out my air saw  I started carving up the firebird dash taking out the  parts not needed ..slow going but  to be safe than making a mistake,it took some coaxing but I finally  got it finally mounted.

The swap is not  100% perfect but is at least 98% has made such a difference  in the modernization of the car's interior and it looks like it came with the car from factory unlike a shoe in dash.Now although not finished there are a few little issues that I am working on like making the fiberglass  filler piece for the back of the dash and changing the color to satin  black to match the rest of the interior.

As for gauges I am using the 88 Cavalier  speedo cluster which is not a direct fit but has to be trimmed to fit,the only original part  I am using is the HVAC controls and the Fiero dimmer switch.........another area was mating the a/c vents Fiero to Firebird but a trip to Home Depot took care of that.

The door panels is still up in the air......... firebird or reconfigure the Fiero panels with a twist either way I will eventually end up using one of them.

Koenig355
Veteran Member

Topic starter

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2008, 08:13:11 AM »

After admiring the  looks of the Firebird dash I am about to do  a final test fit  before permanent mounting but I abandoned the airbox idea and opted for a simple aluminum plate  and attatched 3 pvc outlet then glued and siliconed them in place, these I will mount the hoses   and then to the vent I also wired in the  light and dimmer switch btw  the Fiero dimmer had to be used as the Firebird one is not compatable but it is a direct snap in.

The rear filler I am making from fiberglass but it is now easier as  I accidentally broke my windshield now will have to shop around for a spanking new one as the 23 year old one was beginning to show it's age' I have received  several quote from $185 to $225 installed.

The next thing is  to install  a wireless 2 stage automatic door poppers since  there is no outside door handles to hold on to also mount the  push button starter switch on the new shifter console
« Last Edit: January 01, 2009, 09:14:46 AM by Koenig355 » Logged

Nathrak
Veteran Member

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2008, 11:15:04 PM »

Have comprehensive coverage on your fiero? If so, the state of florida mandates insurance companies replace front windshields free of charge and no premium increases. (hides his AIG auto insurance company badge)

Jon and Rebecca
Koenig355
Veteran Member

Topic starter

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2008, 11:44:03 AM »

Yes I am aware of that  but the car at present has no insurance  and is being restored so I have to bite the bullet and  get it out of pocket >sad  but I would have to change it eventually as there were  bubbles  around the edges.

The only part  of the swap  that is slow and tedious is the wiring  of the crossover door  and window switches on both doors to interface with the Fiero wiring in the center console where there is no chance for a mistake.The a/c plumbing turned out  real easy as the air box from the Firebird dash were cut into different configuration and fitted 2"pvc pipes for the hose hook up inlets.

With every thing in place and fitting good I am finally painting  making sure  every thing is working as they should and getting ready to complete the interior.

Koenig355
Veteran Member

Topic starter

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2008, 06:44:01 AM »

I got the center console from the upholstery shop and they did a good job with the vinyl  that I am going to redo the center mounted subwoofer to match as the materials are different in looks and texture.If I had to do it again  I would  as it seems the ideal dash swap and looks factory.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 09:44:27 AM by Koenig355 » Logged

exoticse
Veteran Member
Official CFF Post Whore

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2008, 10:35:49 AM »

355 check your PM.
Koenig355
Veteran Member

Topic starter

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2008, 03:57:24 PM »

Site info sent Tony

Joe 1320

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2008, 06:22:41 PM »

It sure would be nice to see pics.  How about posting them on a site like imageshack and then just providing a link? 
Koenig355
Veteran Member

Topic starter

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2008, 10:15:08 AM »

I am just able to post pics  biggrin so I will  insert pics in some of my previous posts also,here are pics of the firebird install process.

[/

[/

« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 04:49:24 AM by Koenig355 » Logged

Pages:  [1] 2 3 ... 24
  Print  

Jump to:  

Go to CFF Club & Vendor links.