MUSICONICA
Pages:  [1] 2 3 ... 6
  Print  
Author Topic: 1989 Lamborghini Countach replica build-highly Modded Fiero with V12  (Read 55473 times)
LamboWill
Veteran Member

Topic starter

« on: April 03, 2010, 08:27:37 AM »

Hi everyone,
 Well, here goes... This is my build of my dream car since I was a teen, a Lamborghini Countach. I've gone through several decision changes with this project. It started out that I was just going to build it as she was, but then a series of part finds and a new acquaintance changed everything. The very first thing I wanted to change was the tires I had on it as they were too high profile, a typical everyday tire. I scrounged Ebay auctions for a set of the proper Pirellis p zeros and got lucky, there was a set of front 225 50zr 15's available for bidding. This is a rare tire now, but by end of auction I had high bid of $88.00. The only thing that concerned me was shipping. I contacted the seller and found out it was a gentleman that lived about 35 minutes from me, his name was Mark. He graciously offered to just drop em off for me and to forget the shipping altogether, my first sign of Marks' generosity. I kinda put two and two together and called back Mark and asked him my burning question, did he have a Countach, as this tire size was made exclusively for one, he said he had a black 89 and would be at the upcoming Celebration show. It was at this point everything about my build changed. Now, instead of just building the car as it was and me being detail oriented, it was all over. The car I was looking to replicate was sitting in front of me so I had to make mine look just like it or I wouldn't be happy. Long story short, Mark has been super and aloud me to take tons of measurements and photos of his genuine 89 Countach. The following photos and descriptions will show you my progress. Enjoy the build along with me.

Cheers,
Will

LamboWill
Veteran Member

Topic starter

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 11:00:23 AM »

here's the photo Scott sent me that helped me decide that this body would work...so I bid on it and lost with 6 seconds to go.

LamboWill
Veteran Member

Topic starter

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 11:05:46 AM »

I contacted Scott who I'd had a few conversations with and asked that if the winner didn't come through, would he sell the car to me...long story short, The guy that won it didn't come through with the funds, So...
I made arrangements to pick up the car from Tampa...

LamboWill
Veteran Member

Topic starter

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 11:28:53 AM »

then back to my area on the roll back. It was funny to see all the drivers that were pretty much wrenching their necks and speeding up and slowing down to look at the car as we were driving back home. Here's a quick phone pic of the car up on the roll back heading back, it caused a lot of attention.

Then arrival and unloading of the car into my storage unit I'd arranged for it.

LamboWill
Veteran Member

Topic starter

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 11:31:48 AM »

a few more of the car sitting in the unit.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 11:37:50 AM by LamboWill » Logged
LamboWill
Veteran Member

Topic starter

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 11:44:52 AM »

I was very happy with the car as it was, not remembering the countach's exact contours , just going by pics, so I started my list of "things I would need"

Tires, lights, reflectors, badges to start with.

Then I saw Marks car

« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 11:46:51 AM by LamboWill » Logged
LamboWill
Veteran Member

Topic starter

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2010, 12:05:31 PM »

Seeing Mark's car changed everything. I now had decided that I wanted a clone of his car, and he helped my decision by saying it would be neat for us to be able to park our cars side by side at the shows as guys displayed their replicas at the exotic car shows all the time. Well, if I was going to show my car next to his, obviously, the level of details/accuracy would have to change drastically. With this in mind, I set off to find more accurate parts to convert my "hybrid" 85'/89' into a full fledged 1989 Countach with all the bells and whistles. Though it's taken me  some time to collect em, I've gotten a hold of all the fiberglass exterior parts I could to make the transformation. It wasn't easy, but as can be seen, I have almost everything I require now in one way or another, including making molds for parts.

avengador1
Veteran Member

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2010, 06:53:35 PM »

Wow! I can't wait to follow this build.
exoticse
Veteran Member
Official CFF Post Whore

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2010, 07:31:59 PM »

Sweet !

Dude it looks like you will be replacing almost the entire body ?
Son of Adam

Restored "old blue"

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2010, 07:59:50 PM »

OMG/Shocked OHH i AM SO JEALOUS, The Countach has also been my dream car since i saw Cannon Ball run, i have tried many times to get an unfinished project like that one or similar but i keep getting out bid or its way beyond my budget, you lucky devil you!!!!, cant wait to get a chance to see it when its done.
uhlanstan
Veteran Member

Carefree derelict, seeks buxom blue eye blond with

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2010, 08:27:51 PM »

WOW!! Luckily my Gear/motor head dream centered around a Triumph Bonneville TT120R factory racer  with 11.2 hi comp pistons,energy transfer ignition,matched carbs ,and later in life a 944 &924S Porsche(used)..
..I will follow this post thread,I,m normally not interested in  a rebody,this one seems to appeal to my wallets imagination..
 ...Keep us informed as to the cost,,Im especially interested in the actuall cost..Getting the body on frame for $5000.00 should keep cost down.
...Unfortunately I have more blathering hot air than cold cash

why belong to a club that had me as a member ?
LamboWill
Veteran Member

Topic starter

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2010, 04:19:55 PM »

thank you everyone,
 so far I've really only been collecting parts for the build, but again sourcing oem parts as much as possible for the build... yes Tony, you're right lol kinda rebuilding the entire body with all my modifications. So, in realizing I had the wrong Airbox covers, too tall and wrong angle, I decided to hunt for those too. It tooka few months time, but I finally sourced a casting of a correct driver side one, and later a passenger one as well. So I cut off the existing ones, almost killing my self in the process, this body is thick, almost 1/2" in places. Side note, I'm still gonna be looking for help in certain areas like electrical, so any expert volunteers, fess up  smile when it comes time. most people would probably never know the difference of the shapes of the airboxes unless you'd seen a real one, then it's a total night and day difference. It drastically changes the appearance of the car's contour lines.

Will
before the true contoured and shaped airboxes

note the black drawing with tabs on the roof toward the back..I will have to cut this area for the correct engine bay cover

after they were cut off...

bought castings of true versions, not perfect by any means but definitely workable

here's a couple pics of Marks original for comparison of shape and angle

« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 06:25:50 PM by LamboWill » Logged
LamboWill
Veteran Member

Topic starter

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2010, 07:16:15 PM »

after this is was back to sourcing parts for the car...

here are the oem tail lights from a Alfa Alfetta, a grant Formula 1 GT steering wheel( later replaced) and a horn button pad for the steering wheel

left to right-first three parts on the back row are door and bonnet hinges. On the pink bubble wrap is an oem Lambo hood badge,on the immediate right is the 25th anniversary wreath and bull badge. To the direct left of the hood badge is the Mercedes door striker,the rest of the strikers and catches are already in the car. below that are the oem Fiat 124 inner door pull handle mechanisms. the oem Disegno Bertone emblems  next to those. finally, the top right are the Lamborghini oem fiat 124 courteousy light door jam switches

dash pod, seat buckets(never arrived) dash and center console

oem Carello turn signal parking lamp lenses

more parts

LamboWill
Veteran Member

Topic starter

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2010, 10:23:51 PM »

Next, I wanted accurate gauges for the car so I picked up some working electronic programmable 88 jaguar xj6 gauges. These are made by Jaeger, the same manufacturer as Lamborghini used for the Countach. They have the same face and everything. As it's kind of hard to describe, I'll show pics. I drew up the faces in auto cad then added color in Corel Draw and finalized everything up there. Then, using athe laser cutter , I cut out all the parts and assembled the Gauge faces onto the existing ones, making exact Countach clones minus the needles which can be replaced anyway with orange ones or just painted..

Here's my artwork ready to laser cut the overlays from

battery gauge assembly

comparison

Speedometer( for V12 incidentally)

both gauges together
LamboWill
Veteran Member

Topic starter

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2010, 11:27:40 PM »

Howdy again,
now we get to the good stuff  biggrin What would I do about window glass for the car? I really wanted the curved window glass and side window frames as this would really look oem and accent the true artistic lines of the car, flat glass tends to give the car away as being a kit as well. I decided to perhaps make these frames for curved glass myself out of c channel so after I experimented with making my own, I had a steel manufacturer with a metal brake quote me to make all the channel I would require.
I was a more than a little disappointed when they came back with a quote of over $300.00 for 8 pieces of 1/2" wide by 72" long channel in steel. I started my search again and was fortunate enough to hear about a gentleman over on a UK Lamborghini replica forum that knew a guy that had been making frames for the Lambo Countach replicas since the early 80's. Ged actually manufactured curved side window frames. I contacted him and got exactly what I wanted, curved side window frames, and they were finished (minus painting) and shipped for $322.35, what a bargain. Now what to do about the glass. Well, I had contacted a company in UK about having a custom made windscreen for the Countach but that I needed oem sizing. As it turns out, not only did this company make the curved windscreen at oem specifications, Ged, the gentleman that makes the window frames had contacted them way back when and sent them aluminum curved window templates for his frames, so they actually had the bending jigs for making all the curved glass as well, my little slice of heaven... biggrin
Will
experimenting with aluminum channel screwed together using brass screws as proof of concept

purchased curved frames, they even allow the lower "toll" window to roll down 2.5" lol

frame setting against window opening, slight mods will have to be made to the opening but I would have had to do this anyway no matter what.

Same frames and glass as I have in a finished Countach replica

oem spec windscreen resting in flange

glass in UK ready to ship, there's two sets of glass here, even has the oem green tint

arrived, one piece of rear glass got cracked in shipping and will be replaced, the lower piece of glass on the photo, incidentally the only one that is flat, lol

front quarter light- this is a tough one as it has a compound curve

top side glass- note it is still curved front to back and top to bottom

bottom side glass still a compound curve as well, the notch is for the door mechanisms to fit and still allow the glass to slide

finally  the "crazy curve as I call it, the rear quarter lights

since I'm doing my interior white, this is how the windows and frames will look on the carand the look of the green in the interior due to the tint...I really like this effect for some reason. Again, this is another car with Ged's replica frames

« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 11:38:55 PM by LamboWill » Logged
Pages:  [1] 2 3 ... 6
  Print  

Jump to:  

Go to CFF Club & Vendor links.